Found gosling! have some questions.

Discussion in 'Geese' started by DuckDuckDuckGoose, May 11, 2011.

1. DuckDuckDuckGoose

DuckDuckDuckGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    The Great Northwest
    On Sun. the 6th I was at my grandmas house getting ready to leave and on her road in front of her house I found a "duck" all wet and cold, as I walked over to the poor lil thing it ran right at me. I picked it up and held it close to me as I needed to get it dried off and warmed up. It was shivering! I wrapped it in a towel and took it home, put it in a brooder and took a pic. of it. Then I immidatly went to the local feed store to find out what kind of "duck" this was... I showed the store worker the pic. and he looks at me and says "well mam, it looks to me that you got yourself a nice lookin African gosling there." WHAT!!!! I hate geese! well until I have read the BYC website. Now I am very excited. I was goin to get it a mate but the had 2pr. and they wouldn't sell them in single, so I ended up gettin a Khaki Campbell duckling for its friend. They are 1 day apart as best as I can estimate the goslings age, it was probably born on May 1st. and the duck was born on the 2nd. They are soooo cute together. I also have some Pekins(2) that I raised from 2wks old. They have been outside for 3.5 wks now, but I was wondering if it is ok just to put the gosling and duck out with them in about a week? I live in western Wa. and the lows are 45-47deg at night and day it runs from 54-63 right now, but never do we have consistant wheather here. Yesturday was 63 and sunny, today its 55 and rain.
    also, how will these babies do with the juvinals out there? Thank you in advance for your respons'

Tina

2. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Quote:Welcome to the wonderful world of waterfowl, Tina! Post some pictures of your little guys [​IMG]

It's tough to get goslings without getting a pair or a gaggle. African's are pretty common though so if it turns out you've got a gander and you want to give him some wives you could always hatch out some on your own.

My geese and my ducks are best buddies (well, the geese are best buddies and they look out for the ducks - LOL!)

[​IMG]
    Gosling shares his lunch with the runner

[​IMG]
    Henry Goose hanging out with the Runners

[​IMG]
    Henry and Rusty Goose keep an eye out while the ducks foragage

3. DuckDuckDuckGoose

May 11, 2011
    The Great Northwest
    Those are beautiful pics. I never thought I would own a goose, let alone get another one....I will have to put some good hard thinkin into that one;) I am brand new as of today on BYC, although I went through all 107pages of threads in the geese forum and read read read, learn learn learn! I think my DH is getting sick of me tellin him all about geese and what I learn while he is at work. I try to get a break from Pendleton(goose) and all he does is scream for me! Im sitting 6' away from him. They always want to cuddle on my lap. I would post pics but I need some time to figure out how to, cause the pics I have of them were taken with my cell phone. But, im smart on some days....so I will figure it out aventually.LOL.
    When do u think I could introduce these lil buggers to my 6wk pekins? and let them stay outside during the day? They are not old enough yet, but it comes quick! Thank you
    T.

4. DuckDuckDuckGoose

May 11, 2011
    The Great Northwest
    How do I post my pics to this site?

5. Duckles

Duckles Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    West Mass
    [​IMG]

Personally I wouldn't let them be with the older ducks just yet... I think the size different would be too great. The little guys could get hurt or have trouble getting to their food. I also wouldn't put babies out in this weather yet.

Post pics!

6. DuckDuckDuckGoose

May 11, 2011
    The Great Northwest
    Thanks for your great advice Duckles, I won't put them out now as they are tooo little. just wonderin when I can put them out? and I uploaded my pic to the images page, I just dont understand how to post it to my message. would you tell me how and I will post the pic. I have uploaded. They r sooooo cute!

7. DuckDuckDuckGoose

May 11, 2011
    The Great Northwest
    I found out why I cant post my pics yet. I am a brand new BYC member and I have to have at least 10 posts b4 I can post my pics. so can ya all help me out and comment and answer my questions so I can get the amount I need so I can post my pics of my cute lil gosling and Khaki Campbell buddies. thanks t.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by