1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Found hen after coon attacked her....**UPDATE**

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by farmgirl2477, Jul 4, 2007.

1. farmgirl2477

farmgirl2477 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2007
    Oviedo, FL
    I ran out to the coop earlier today when I heard everyone giving the alarm. Just as I got there I saw a racoon dragging Topps down under the coop. She looked dead as it carried her off. Well my dog went after it and treed it. Well I just went out to finish securing the outer yard fence when I heard some strange noises. It was Topps!!! Slowly she was trying to get back to the flock!!! Shes alive and has some strength in here, but is gaping for air and everyonce in awhile makes a sneezing sound. (thats how I found her) She has a couple of puncture wounds on here, a large one on her back and tiny ones on her neck.

I have brought her in and dripped some water into her. I now have her in a small dog carrier in a dark corned. Just wondering if I should be doing something else. Do I need to be putting anything on her wounds? Or just let her relax and regain some strength first? This is my first serious injury and Im panicing.

Thanks for your help.
    Shannon

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  2. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    [​IMG]

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Do you have any Neosporin antibiotic cream or ointment that you can put on her wounds?

Poor girl, I'm glad you found her.

4. 65browneyes

65browneyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Arizona
    Not to be an alarmist, but gasping for air and puncture wounds on the neck make me wonder if her trachea or even her lungs have been punctured? Does it sound like air is escaping from any of the wounds?

On the other hand, chickens are amazingly resilient. I've seen/heard of them recovering from wounds one wouldn't expect them to be able to recover from. Keeping her quiet, and hydrated is the only advice I have to offer.

I'm sure someone with more experience will be along soon to offer something great for you (like Woodland Woman's neosporin advice). Good luck with her!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2007
  5. Cheri

Cheri Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Dayton, TX
    Oh poor Topps.

6. farmgirl2477

Apr 2, 2007
    Oviedo, FL
    Im hoping the wounds have not hit anything major. Im not hearing air, but she isnt letting me get to close at the moment. Shes way in the back and when ever I put my hand in there she starts to freak and attacks. Figured I should leave her in for alittle longer so she can settle. I dont want to stress her out anymore then she is. As soon as she is more relaxed I will smear some neosporin on her wounds.

Oh as for the wounds on her neck, they are more toward her head. Close to the back of her ear. Im going to look for an anatormy picture and see what her wounds are close to. All I know is where the head wings feet and tail are LOL

Thanks for eveyones support.
    Shannon

7. farmgirl2477

Apr 2, 2007
    Oviedo, FL
    Finally got Topps to relax enough for me to pull her out of the cage. After I fianlly found my way through her mass amount of feathers (shes a cochin) I found that her back is far worse then I thought. Its is tore up bad! I filled it all with neosporin, but couldnt get the feathers far apart enough to put gauze over the hole. Shes still breathing hard, but is fighting. I dont know what her chances are of surviving, but as long as she fights Ill be there for her!

Oh, and I think the wounds on her back have missed the lungs. Comparing her to a drawing isnt exactly accurate, but I think she may have been lucky there.

Thanks for listening.
    Shannon

8. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    You might want to crush and dissolve an aspirin in a gallon of water then use that for her water. It should ease the pain and help reduce swelling.

Poor baby, I hope she heals quickly. You are such a good chicken Mommy!

9. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2007
    Be careful. We have had a rash of coons with rabies here.

10. Cheri

Cheri Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Dayton, TX
    Im glad she let you tend to her wounds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by