1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Found hen dead in nest box

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by silkiechick236, Jan 21, 2010.

1. silkiechick236

silkiechick236 Songster

Sep 29, 2009
    Oklahoma
    I found one of our Ideal 236 hens dead in one of the nest boxes this afternoon. Couldn't see that anything was wrong. She was only about 9 months old. Any ideas?

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Crowing

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    A friend that I sold a couple hens to had the same problem with one the hens. He took her to his vet for a necropsy. The vet said that the hens head of full of blood. Listed CoD as a brain aneurysm. The hen had popped a blood vessel in her head while trying to lay an egg.

Matt

3. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Songster

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Would have never thought of that one. Maybe a heart attack or something. I learn something new everyday.

silkie, sorry about your hen. Hopefully it was nothing contagious to infect the other chickens.

4. silkiechick236

silkiechick236 Songster

Sep 29, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Wow, never would have thought of something like that. I thought about cutting her open to see if it had something to do w/ her laying but I decided just to bury her. Thanks for the responses and sympathy. The Ideal 236's have the best personalities of all are birds so far. She will be missed.[​IMG]

5. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Songster

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    silkie, what are 236's? I'm not sure I have heard of them before.

6. OccamsTazer

OccamsTazer Songster

Mar 2, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Aw, I'm sorry about your hen [​IMG]
    And yeah, Ideal 236's are gentle sweet peas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by