Found hen dead in the coop-not a predator issue

Jajika

Crowing
16 Years
Dec 24, 2007
Northern California
This morning I found one of my red sexlinks dead in the coop? She was about six years old and her "sister" is still going strong. It's very strange as she was fine yesterday. She, and all my girls, have a very healthy and fun life. When I went out to their yard to let them out on what I call a field trip -- our larger yard with grass that they love to eat and I know it is very healthy for them. I didn't see her rush out and checked the coop to see if she was laying. Then I saw her...just dead. There are no predators as they live in what I call Chicken Alcatraz. A very large 75 x 25 x 15 yard built with hardware cloth dug a foot and half down and flared out. It has trees and bushes and their coop inside. I didn't see any evidence of injuries. Is this just something that can happen. Love some observations. Thanks

Attachments

• coop.jpg
    coop.jpg
    947 KB · Views: 14
  • yard2.jpg
    yard2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • yard.jpg
    yard.jpg
    887.5 KB · Views: 10
Oh, I'm sorry. All my hens have known each other for years. Of course, there is the pecking order, so the occasional "I'm here first" issues, there are no fights.
They all knew each other well, but we have a very instinctive male and some older hens that get grumpy when they're told no by another bird so we think being broody made her fight when she normally wouldn't have

Back
Top Bottom