Found Hen with odd posturing.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mommy 2 Wee Ones, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    I was doing late afternoon head check & was missing a hen. Found her (BO 7 months) under the deck stairs, standing, with head pointing down, and tail feathers pointing down.

A fellow BYCer posted this picture, to ask if this is how she was. YES THIS IS HOW SHE LOOKED.

[​IMG]

I thought she might be egg bound, she did not try to get away when I got her, very calm & subdued. I checked her vent, no poop, no egg, also felt her abdominal area, I did not feel an egg. But just to play it safe, I did soak her in the tub in warm water for 30 min, at 20 min, she perked up, her head came up, she was alert & looking around. As I talked to her, she tilted her head and was listening to me, and then she was looking to get out. Brought her out, dried her off, she is in the dog crate, eating BOSS & rice.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

That is SO strange. The person you got this photo from...what had they concluded???

3. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    Their chicken had transient paralysis (TP), and recovered.

She is standing well, eating well, no posturing, head up & alert. Put some Apple Cider Vinegar in her water, has pooped twice. The ones after the bath was loose, the other was firmer. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by