Found her egg stash!

FatChicksDigMe

Crowing
6 Years
May 9, 2015
Merced County, CA
OK, so I have two Easter egger hens that are sisters-they look nearly identical but vary slightly by personality and egg color. This is a story about Jumper (the green egg laying ninja hen). After wondering why she hadn't layed her first eggs like her sister, one day I caught her jumping the fence in search of nesting sites grumbling around and realized this traiter had been eating my food and hiding those pretty eggs from me, but since my neighbors are never home, and I'm not one to sneak into someone's property, I just tried to keep her and her sister confined in the coop when I heard them doing the egg song or acting constipated. Only then would I get those green and blue eggs!

Yesterday I noticed a loose/fallen board between our fences and lo and behold found her secret stash of 14!!! Eggs. So she HAD already been laying well before or at the same time as her sister but came back to eat and forage with the flock. I don't know how she could manage to fly/find her way back even when I clipped her wings...crazy girl

I would split them with the chickens and dogs. 14 eggs could be a month's worth for a pullet. This time of year they should be fine and you can float test them if you really need them.

My chickens are hiding their eggs too. They have 8 nesting boxes in the coop and they are laying in the attic of the coop. I have to get a ladder to get to the eggs. I noticed that the egg production was going down and that is when I started hunting for the eggs. We had a bag of pine in the attic and they have tore the bag and spread the pine out and have a huge nest up there. The little brats want to keep all their eggs.

It's been really cold here in the central valley (California). Kinda damp and one or two showers. I did the float test and all the eggs raised slightly up but were basically flat. I boiled them for the girls and boys, and ate 3 myself. I must say, unless my eyes were playing tricks on me but Easter egger eggs have darker yolks and more flavor. Her sister has a slightly darker yolk too

My chickens are hiding their eggs too.  They have 8 nesting boxes in the coop and they are laying in the attic of the coop.  I have to get a ladder to get to the eggs.  I noticed that the egg production was going down and that is when I started hunting for the eggs.  We had a bag of pine in the attic and they have tore the bag and spread the pine out and have a huge nest up there.  The little brats want to keep all their eggs.
ha-ha! Gosh, they sure made themselves comfortable;)Please be careful climbing the ladder

Back
Top Bottom