Found hidden eggs - are they still safe to eat?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by slimpys, Sep 28, 2011.

1. slimpys

slimpys Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Last week we had our third hen start laying and I progressively found the egg farther and farther from the nest box. I've always found the eggs completely in the open, but haven't seen one in a few days and went hunting for a secret nest. I never found a nest of the color egg I was looking for, but found another hen started laying. There were about 5 - 6 eggs in this spot off the ground in an old goat feeder. If the eggs have been outside for a week or two, are they still safe to eat?

Also, do hens typically lay in the same spot each time? The first two use the same nest box each time they lay. This other one seems to lay where ever it happens to be at the time and there is no consitency in type of location (nest box, coop floor, outside shelter dirt floor, middle of the grass....). I don't mind hunting for eggs if I know where to look each time.

Thanks!

2. Atomic Ranch

Atomic Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    El Cerrito, So Cal
    Hello there,

[​IMG]

I've kept my fresh, unwashed eggs on the counter for two weeks, as the natural bloom protects them from bacteria, etc. I fridge after that. I've read they're fine even longer, but to test them, you could put them in a glass of water-- if they sink, they're good, if they float, nah.

In my experience, they're pretty habitual. You can discourage them from a location by making it inaccessible for a while.

3. Blueicebird

Blueicebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Watkins Glen
    Perfectly explained Atomic!

4. Atomic Ranch

Atomic Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    El Cerrito, So Cal
    Quote:Cool! I knew I'd get the hang of this chickens thing [​IMG]

How long do other keep eggs out of the fridge? They do taste much better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by