found hurt chicken this morning couple questions

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dragontamer56, Jul 3, 2011.

1. dragontamer56

dragontamer56 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    I went outside and saw a chicken hanging out next to our coop and i asked my mom if she let them out and she hadn't so i went and picked it up and it wasn't one of ours and it had a punture wound on its breast. the wound is about the sise of a penny or so. I got it this morning but then we had to go into town so i put it in my empty turkey pen. I came home and it's been fine. it's walking around and i think it has eaten some of it's food and drank a bit, but what should i do about the wound? I think it is a buckeye what do you think? didn't want to pick it up more and stress it out so i could't get a picture of the wound.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  2. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    I'd try to track down who owns this chicken. Are there others with chickens in your area? Someone is probably missing her.

3. dragontamer56

Apr 13, 2011
    Well i think it's my neighbors next to me ,but they are camping and are not home.

4. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    As long as it is not acting sick, I might just let it be until the neighbors return. It makes me wonder, though, if their other chickens are okay. Do you know how long they will be gone?

5. dragontamer56

Apr 13, 2011
    no not really we aren't really the close neibors like in the movies, lol.

6. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

looks like a rhode island red. Buckeyes have a different comb - that hen has a single comb like a RIR.

the wound, flush with saline and apply some antibiotic ointment to it. do this once a day for a few days till it scabs. If shes eating and drinking she'll do well.

since you think its the neighbors write a note and tape to their door " Wondering if you are missing any chickens? Seen some loose wondering if were yours? Sincerely ---- (your name) " [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by