Found in a parking lot... Snuggle up.. baby, it's cold outside!

Aneesa's Muse

Songster
11 Years
Jun 8, 2008
SF Bay Area
I was out running errands for my Zoo yesterday, when this man shows up at the shop with a live trapped Chinchilla. Yes, you read that right. He claimed to have found the Chin in a parking lot somewhere else and was just dumping him on us, at the shop.

When I took the Chinchilla into my hands and snuggled him to me, I could smell the infection immediately. The front of my white tee shirt was quickly sporting some of the green googly goo oozing from his nose and mouth. The poor thing was even cold to the touch.. like his fur was chilled through.

So.. we called our local Exotic Vet and got him a rushed appointment. As I was driving across town, to the clinic, I was praying and pleading that the little one would make the trip.

The doc looked him over and confirmed what we already assumed.. severe dehydration, malnourished, congested lungs, overgrown teeth (growing up into his lip, actually), and a few other things.. along with a completely bald back and hindquarter.

He was given subQ fluids, an antibiotic injection and more to take 2x a day for the next 10 days, teeth trimmed, nails trimmed, instructions for handfeeding and pushing fluids/pedialyte, help with grooming ..and a song and a prayer from the staff, for him to pull through this.

On my way out of the clinic, I decided to call him Phoenix ..and the staff and other clients agreed that it was a good name for the little guy!
smile.png

IM002025.jpg

IM002026.jpg

These were taken just moments after we returned home from the Vet visit, yesterday. He's tired and feeling icky after that ordeal, of course.

IM002027.jpg

IM002028.jpg

IM002029.jpg

These were taken just a few minutes ago... and I can honestly say, I have never ever seen anyone so happy about a bowl full of dirt!
gig.gif

Last edited:
He's one lucky little guy to have landed on your doorstep! I think everyone who sees this is giving a little "oooohhhh" at seeing those great pics... good luck with him!!! (and no matter what happens, he's happy and cared for and warm now, that matters.)

Awwww! Be sure and post updates on Phoenix! Great name, by the way!
thumbsup.gif
So sweet of you to take him in!

Shelly

What a cutie pie, get well soon wishes coming your way Phoenix. Thank you for taking such good care of this cutie. Best wishes on a speedy recovery. Great save.
thumbsup.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Thanks everyone!
smile.png

I truly believe that all the prayers and good thoughts being sent for Phoenix ...they are definitely beneficial to him. He's got a long way to go with recovery, but from yesterday to today ...it's like black and white! There's a noticeable difference and he's really doing well!

Thank you!!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom