found injured will it effect laying?

chicken moma

Songster
6 Years
Jan 11, 2015
Hawaii
2 RI reds were 'let go' and found my house, they both looked sick white faced and when I caught them their bones were pronounced. they were young, and picky eaters, one disappeared, the other hung around, after about a couple of weeks, she started hanging out with the wild ones, but I would sneak food to her, I put DE in some feed and she started to look better. one morning I found her huddled in the bushes on the side of the road in what I can only call crumpled position. on her side and really messed up but alive. I could not leave her there, so found a crate put leaves in it and gently lifted her, did not think she would last the day or night or the next day. . . provided high protein feed with DE and water. she was alert but in a lot of pain. I have never heard a chicken cry before. I 'pilled' her with aspirin? her wing seemed ok but her body and leg was not right, her toes moved? I did not think she would make it. kept her in the box, put her out in the yard so she could see the wild ones but was contained tried to keep her pain free and fed she seemed to do ok but was a long way from being able to stand. 15 days she stayed in the box after a week I put her out daily on the grass for a few minutes while I was out side, she would lay and peck the grass and bugs. 2 weeks she started to stand but the injured leg was not useful. I had to leave for a while, left her after work care, to my daughter, who said 'girlie' started jumping out of the box, feeding her was all we could do. I was gone 4 weeks, thought she might not make it. but was surprised when I got home, she came waddling in. her tail is hanging, but her leg is moving and she is running with the wild ones. I am concerned that the young hens (about a 5 weeks older than her) have started laying eggs, the roo is with them and interested in her but she is not, I wonder if there will be a problem with laying? so far she looks healthy , she is fat, she had colour and shine looks good, limps when there is too much activity but runs and is jumping up on ledges, her injury was January she was about 4-5 months old? she still hangs out in the yard and comes running when she sees me but dos not want to be picked up. I am amazed she survived the day I found her.
girlie better.jpg girlie red.jpg girliered.jpg girlie march2018.jpg
She is looking better each day today her tail is a little more upright and not as rounded over. (usually it is like the last picture of her with the wild hen) There is a huge difference with her and the wild ones, even though they will let me stroke them (she is not so keen) they are so much more wiley they have been 4 generations of wild in my yard and still not domestic; she is domestic, much bigger and should not have been turned out into wild, but is surviving. we watch her. I dont want her to have problems with eggs not coming out? will she not produce eggs if she is damaged? what do you look for? she is watching the black hens all jump in and out of a box to lay.

so how will you know if she will lay with your hens in a nest or somewhere the wild ones lay? Are wild ones laying for you?

I bet she's about ready... give her some calcium and see if you can coax her into a nest with egg in it to get the idea across?

so how will you know if she will lay with your hens in a nest or somewhere the wild ones lay? Are wild ones laying for you?

I bet she's about ready... give her some calcium and see if you can coax her into a nest with egg in it to get the idea across?
Hiya; they are all wild and yes they lay all over, sometime IN the trees! (facepalm) in the laundry room, on the freezer, in the truck, so I put a box on the stoop and all 4 are jumping in, there, there is about 20 eggs in there . I thought someone would sit but not yet, very small size eggs but at least 4 hens laying every day more than we can eat, the older hen has chicks she laid in hiding. I take 2 eggs a day, I think I will have to clean out the nest. I thought I had one broody but they keep laying hahaha. Girlie is watching so I did not want to disturb them. I am concerned because of her injury I dont want her to be egg bound, like I said her tail is still down, I think she has more healing to do? she has had a rough go of it I dont want her to have more difficulties but I dont think there is anything I can do? just watch her. she is eating better now, at the start she was very picky now she is eating a good variety.

She may or may not lay because of her injuries, and her eggs could be okay or not. Hopefully she will lay for you, time will tell. She looks like she may be a New Hampshire hen.

My best layer was injured by a neighbor dog at the age of 18 months. She was severely injured, immediately stopped laying, and it took her about 6 weeks to recover. She resumed laying eggs about 3-4 months later, but her eggs were always rubber or so thin shelled, they immediately broke. She had something damaged in her shell gland. She was a very active hen and foraged all over. Two years later she died, never laying a normal egg, even though she had plenty of layer feed and extra calcium.

She may or may not lay because of her injuries, and her eggs could be okay or not. Hopefully she will lay for you, time will tell. She looks like she may be a New Hampshire hen.

My best layer was injured by a neighbor dog at the age of 18 months. She was severely injured, immediately stopped laying, and it took her about 6 weeks to recover. She resumed laying eggs about 3-4 months later, but her eggs were always rubber or so thin shelled, they immediately broke. She had something damaged in her shell gland. She was a very active hen and foraged all over. Two years later she died, never laying a normal egg, even though she had plenty of layer feed and extra calcium.

we dont know how she was injured but a dog is very possible, she was in really bad shape. I am absolutely ok with her not laying, just dont want her to get things stuck, I dont know what if anything internal was damaged but she seems happy now. I know she is not wanting to breed, and is still limping at the end of the day. dont know what she is? now her face has colour we got rid of what I expect was worm infestation, I toss DE mixed scratch out in the yard for all to eat ,cos I dont want the 100's of wild bringing disease into the yard, I like to have one roo around, he keeps the population down, but once they reach adult age the kids grab them. (but not if I catch them!)she is 2x the size of the wild ones but gentle, they are a bantam mix? (Hawaii poi ) girlie is kinda like a greatdane puppy hahaha. but her tail is still hanging down. thanks for your input.

UP DATE: Girlie has started laying , little brown eggs, she has jumped right in to the box after watching the wild hens. the egg looks and feels normal, and she has produced 2 eggs so far with no problems Yeah!

Back
Top Bottom