Found lice in the Banty Coop...Treat Everyone?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hokankai, Dec 24, 2011.

1. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    I am home for the holidays and of course I have to fix everything my parents didn't take care of. Well, one of my mille fleur cochin pullets was looking a little pale and not very thrifty so I brought her in to take a look. The first thing I noticed was that she had very crackly breathing, so I immediately moved her into the house and started her on Tylan. While we were holding her, my sister (thankfully) found a bug crawling on her and it inspired me to look at her. I didn't see any more bugs, but I found huge clusters of nits at the base of her feathers around her head and neck. I went and picked up some 5% Sevin powder stuff right away and inspected the rest of the birds.

I found eggs on the two other bantams (a lot less than on Jane though) and none on the larger birds. I thoroughly dusted the bantams and their coop, and Jane now has HUGE amounts of dead lice falling off of her...poor baby.

Should I go ahead and dust the larger birds anyway? I'm wondering if the bantams were infected because they don't get to roam the property and do not have access to a dust bath (but that will be changed next week...I'm going to put some play sand in there for them).

Thanks

2. fuzzybutt love

fuzzybutt love Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Michigan
    YES YES YES. They say that for every bug you find there's a lot more you don't; treat everyone and then treat again in 10-14 days to clear up any newly hatched bugs. The plain sand will soothe their itchies, but it won't get rid of the bugs. You can try putting something in the sand called diotomatious earth, food grade. Sometimes feed stores carry it. it will poke holes in the bugs, and is not a chemical so it won't interfere with treatment. Speaking from experience, the DE is a good preventative, and does kill a bunch of them, but didn't work for me when i had clumps of eggs like you have. I ended up buying permithrin 10% and diluting it and spraying it on the birds. (It has poultry instructions) It ended a several month battle in 3 treatments.

3. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Alrighty, I'll go ahead and treat the other flock too. For the record, they are not housed together, but just in case I will.

I also want to worm everyone as I've never done it before. However, can the wormer be mixed in with the Tylan? Or should I wait until the Tylan treatment is over? Her comb and wattles are pretty pale and she's not very active. However, she is eating and drinking pretty well and I've been giving her high protein treats like ham and egg.

4. fuzzybutt love

Jul 30, 2011
    Michigan
    I would wait. She could be pale on account of the lice. I don't know about mixing meds; i would err on the safe side since she's eating well. You could put a tiny bit of mentholated chapstick on her beak near her nose to help her breath better too; just don't get it on her nostrels. Won't cure anything, but might help her breath a little. If the lice were chewing on her she might be a little anemic right now. The cooked egg yolk is a great idea; In a few days she'll probably be brand new again [​IMG]
    Wormer is a good idea if you've never done it, there are a lot of posts to read about it. In general the regular wormer sold in stores is good; if you suspect something other than your typical roundworm than it won't work. You might try looking up gapeworm on older posts; I have heard that it can cause resperitory-like symptoms, but do not have any personal experience with it. (I don't know that it's common, but it's worth looking at anyway just in case) In any case since you have never wormed before you would have to start with the regular kind anyway.
    [​IMG]
    Btw merry christmas!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'd be surprised if you found no lice/mites at all in your other flock. I agree that DE will not cure an infestation, and that you need to work on one problem at a time. You will need to clean out the coops and retreat at least once to get rid of the mites / lice. These bugs can cause a lot of blood loss, and even kill them in severe cases. I would build their nutrition up again before I wormed them. Then I would worm with Valbazen (albendazole) because it gets all types of worms and because it is widely reported here to be safe to use even if they happen to have a heavy worm load.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=472405

http://healthybirds.umd.edu/Disease/Deworming Birds.pdf

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=576036&p=1

6. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    I planned on cleaning out the coops before I left for school again, but my family will have to retreat in a couple weeks since I won't be here. I didn't see any eggs on the other girls, but I also didn't check their vent areas...but around the face which is where I found the eggs on the banty chickens. I changed out the shavings, thoroughly dusted, and sprinkled fresh DE in the banty coop. I think today (or tomorrow) I'll dust everyone in the big flock just in case and will change the shavings before I leave. I'll plan on waiting to deworm them after Jane is done with her Tylan dose and is moved back outside. I'm positive they have roundworm (took a parasitology course last semester), but if they aren't causing problems with anyone else it's going down on my priority list. Right now my top priority is kicking Jane's CRD down and getting her perky again.

So what is more likely to be causing her comb/wattles to be pale?

This morning she seems to be doing a lot better with less than 24 hours of pampering. Her eyes are not closing as often, she's a lot more interested in food and water, and seems to be more interested in moving around.

7. fuzzybutt love

Jul 30, 2011
    Michigan
    [​IMG] Thank you flockwatcher!

Both are equally bad. Lice/mites drain the blood and make the bird restless at night, unable to get the sleep they need to fight infection. Worms get all the nutrition and then they lose weight also leaving them open for illness.So both are equally important for keeping a healthy flock. There is a possibility that what you are seeing is not CRD, but a bacterial infection in the lungs picked up while her immune system was down. You must know that CRD/infectious coryzoa are not yet considered "curable" and though treatment will save the bird ultimatly she will always be able to pass it on to other birds. The only way to know for sure is to have her tested. Because it's contageous, you must always be respectful to other bird owners and change your shoes + wash your hands before going in the public. A simple bacterial infection can be cured with meds. and will not make them carriers. Old-timers swear by putting 1 Tb of cider vinegar into a gallon of water, then using this for the birds to drink. (The vinegar should not be used in a metal waterer however because it will react with the metal) While this will not cure anything, it will make it mighty uncomfortabe for the worms and lice! It is said to boost their immunity and may help the rest of the girls stay well until you can worm them.

Read the posts flockwatcher thoughtfully found, and trust Dawg. He has worked in a vet's office, so he really knows what he's talking about.

Sounds like you're quick thinking may have saved them yet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by