Found local Muscovies for sale...

They are decent ducks if you want a larger breed. They are all I have and i agree i have had pretty decent egg output from mine not enough to run a sales table but definitely enough for a family with several kids and enough left over for friends.

I have found my girls laying year round.. Mine are strange i guess... i expected it to stop.. it simply didn't.. i have dozens and dozens of eggs.. only now that i have 1 with a duckling and two sitting has the egg level decreased as i only have one hen laying atm.

Since none of ours will start laying until probably mid to late September I was actually considering buying a couple of the adults hens- on the fence about a male though. I don't want them mating with any of my too young for that business ducks. It would be awesome to have some eggs now although she may not lay right away either from the stress of moving and being integrated into a new flock.

Since none of ours will start laying until probably mid to late September I was actually considering buying a couple of the adults hens- on the fence about a male though. I don't want them mating with any of my too young for that business ducks. It would be awesome to have some eggs now although she may not lay right away either from the stress of moving and being integrated into a new flock.

Quite probable, we bought three 6-7mth old hens last year they didn't start laying till after several months of arriving... and one has now successfully hatched a duckling. My original hens starting laying at 4mths old( i got them as day olds)

Quite probable, we bought three 6-7mth old hens last year they didn't start laying till after several months of arriving... and one has now successfully hatched a duckling. My original hens starting laying at 4mths old( i got them as day olds)
Hmm I think I will hold off then. haha! We plan on adding more ducks to our flock next year so I will close the flock (after the geese we just ordered) for the next year. I think that will be good though. Since we have so many different kinds- we are using this year to decide which ducks we want to have more of. I love the runners looks and personality, the WH make my heart sigh they are so pretty. My son is in love the Golden 300s (because they are such good layers he says. he's 10). And we are for sure getting more Pekins OR somehow having a broody hen sit on some of our Pekin eggs to hatch. We have 2 Pekin ducks and one Pekin drake and they actually bunch together in a little trio harem. It's already so adorable at 8 weeks old. And the drake is so soft spoken barely makes a sound but is rather enormous.

I am seriously intrigued by the Muscovies though. So I will keep chewing on it until next year.

Back
Top Bottom