Found magots/worms in wound near vent????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GreenwoodFarms, Jul 22, 2011.

1. GreenwoodFarms

GreenwoodFarms New Egg

Jul 22, 2011
    I just acquired some re-homed chickens and I am total newbie to chicken care. I just bathed and clipped the vent feathers of my red hen and found a mass of "micro"worms living/swarming on what might have been the remains of a dead fly - it was a black oozy mass (a dead fly did run off the area when I hosed that spot)? After hosing and cleaning the area, it looks a bit raw from the infestation and I spotted 2-3 worms left that I think I picked out after the fact, they seem to be burrowing around the infected area. No worms are coming out of her vent thankfully - so I think it's just that surface wound area. Do you know what I can put on the affected area to help it heal and keep it somewhat clean/rid of maggots/worms? I don't know if I can use any human antiboitics (newsporin/bacitracin) on a chicken.

Many thanks in advance!

2. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    use polysporin without the pain killer, that will surely help, but you have to be really sure that all maggots are out. you did well in clipping the feathers back so you could see what you were dealing with. other than that I am sure other people weill tell you other things you can do, when I had an injured hen with a severe cut between her toes I used the polysporin and gauzed it. the infection was bad but the poly really helped in clearing it out, either way she lost her toe but she is super healthy now, walks the same as the rest.

Good luck, keep us posted

Ema

3. Cockadoodledon't

Cockadoodledon't Chillin' With My Peeps

Ema has given good advice.
    Had a similar situation about a week back and lost my girl.
    She had gotten to the point she was droopy and didnt want to eat.
    I think these are signs to watch for on your bird.

As far as the wound, keep it clean. There are some anti parasite sprays you can apply such as Blue Coat, and Screw Worm spray.
    Keep it clean and watch her for any further signs of infection.
    Can give Poly Visol drops for vitamin supplements.

Good luck.
    [​IMG]

4. GreenwoodFarms

GreenwoodFarms New Egg

Jul 22, 2011
    So far so good - Thank you for the advice! I've kept the area clean and have been applying topical antibacterial ointment and have not seen any worms and she seems alot happier. But I will be going to the feed store and stock up on all of the recommended products for deworming, wound care etc. so I have them on hand. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by