Found mix of pullets for new coop/flock, need input

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Manok-Tao, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Manok-Tao

Manok-Tao Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2010
    W-S NC
    Yes I'm a newbie to the site and have only 6 months of chicken experience 2 yrs ago. Decided to do it right and build a nice and cozy, yet well ventilated coop and run plus back yard free range opportunities when on good behaviour.
    Some may have read some of my recent posts...
    ok no debeaked birds...found a guy an hour away that has the following 3 1/2 to 5 month old pullets for sale
    Barred Rock (2)
    BSL (2)
    Buff orp (2)
    Buff Brahmas
    Dark Brahmas
    Delawares (2)
    Partridge rocks
    Speck Sussex (2)
    Araucanas
    The numbers in parthen.. are the qty's I'm thinking of. This guy will also hold the birds I choose/buy for me while I finish the coop (3-4 wks)
    I also recieved a post from a lady here on BYC that has RSL pullets and am awaiting her reply to my IM to her if 2 of them will be avail in same timeline.
    Had them before and loved them.
    Please give me your input on this idea I have...(planning on getting them the same day and putting them into the coop after dark)
    John

2. Manok-Tao

Jan 6, 2010
    W-S NC
    have I put this in the wrong catagory?

3. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I would have listed this under raising baby chicks, but here's my input
    You are putting different flocks together that have not been raised together, right? I am no expert, but I would think you need to quarantine the different flocks for 30 days
    I had mine in a large dog crate for two weeks, then let them free range together during the day, back in the cage at night.
    It always worked,

4. Manok-Tao

Jan 6, 2010
    W-S NC
    Not sure on the flock question. I'm going to see them tomorrow, they are all from the same guy so quarantine/separation may not be required

5. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:I say go ahead with it don't get the RSL pullets because then you would need to quarentine them. I would also get Brahmas and an EE (what he is calling araucana) or two just to add some color. I have heard Brahmas are very sweet and EE's can lay nice green eggs.

Good Luck,
    Henry

6. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    If they come from the same place and have been together they should not need quarantine or be separated for introduction. I agree that he may ave EE's and they are nice. Like the other breeds you chose too. I would probably start out with a flock from one source if you can, you certainly have variety there. You may end up adding birds at some time. There is plenty of advise here re quarantine and introduction. It is certainly 'doable'. You may also change your mind about what to get once you see the chickens.....I did, it was hard to choose, did not come home with the mix I planned.... [​IMG] Good luck with your chicks

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Sounds like a nice variety. Have fun!

8. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    By different flocks meaning one set of pullets from the guy and one set of RSL's from the lady on BYC

9. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Flocks of chickens of similar colors work best. A few of an off color will attract more attention and get pecked on. Esp. one or two white with a darker flock. Thats been my experience so far. The reds have been the most aggressive of my bunch in my flock. And they are the sweet little comets that were so nice and cuddly to me. Go figure. With my EE's it is the same. Even though the white one was reared with the mixed colored hens they pick on her. All are bluish or green egg layers. Good luck with your choices.
    If the flocks have not met. Isolation is a must for 30 days and then a shared wire wall is nice for them to get to know each other through for a while before putting them all together. Even then you will have to watch carefully as the dynamics of both flocks change to produce one top of the pecking order hen and the others settle into place. This is never pretty. If blood is drawn remove the one with blood on them immed. They others will jump on it and try to kill it. Good luck Love my hens Gloria Jean

10. thegreypony

thegreypony Chillin' With My Peeps

john - just curious if you could share the contact info for the person w/the speck.sussex. PM me if so would really like a few of those in the backyard!

replied to your other thread - sounds like you've got a good bead on some birds. have fun!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by