Found Muscovy's need home-CA

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by shiningeyes, Mar 24, 2017.

1. shiningeyes

shiningeyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2016
    Hi all, Any California Muscovy lovers? I posted over on the free re-homing page but I'm desperate so trying here as well. I found three muscovy's that I think must have been dumped or disliked their old home as they are very people friendly. I had to catch them because they took up residence at our neighbors pond then eventually found their way to his barn and are getting into his horse feed. He is not an animal lover so he was going to shoot them. They also like to hang out at our house which is across a small, but very busy, street from the pond. They were constantly in the way of cars and have almost got hit a number of times. They just don't move for some reason. I absolutely love them- and wish they could have just stayed at the pond-but with the road and the neighbor its' not possible. I don't have the space to keep them-I barely have room for my two (one of whom is permanently injured) and desperately need to find them a home. There is (I think) one male and two females. Poor things are stuck in a small dog run right now (they do have a crate inside). But it's much too small for the three of them. I can't let them out as I don't know they'd let me catch them again. I'm hoping someone will see this and may be able to help. We're in the santa cruz area of California. Thanks!

2. chicksducks1

chicksducks1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2017
    I would take them but I'm in Colorado:(

3. shiningeyes

shiningeyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2016
    I know-there are so many duck lovers/owners in other parts of the country but I have such a hard time finding anyone in California!

4. chicksducks1

chicksducks1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2017
    I hate having birds shipped but worst case sinerio if they can't find a home they could be shipped here. I just hate all that added stress on them.

5. titanRX8

titanRX8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Did you think of looking for a local waterfowl rescue near you to see if they could take them in? We have one in NC where I'm from and they take in all the Easter rejects. If you could do some checking around you might find one near you.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @shiningeyes PM @casportpony she lives in California and might consider I know she has scovy's. Bless you for taking them in and keeping them safe till you find them a good forever home.

7. Louise Waffles

Louise Waffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2017
    About how much does it cost to ship ducks? How long does it take?

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Your best bet would be to call your local post office they can give you time length and prices for shipping boxes and cost to ship.

9. Louise Waffles

Louise Waffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2017
    Okay, online it says you need to be NPIP certified or have health certificates. If no one in CA can take the ducks, and I can afford it (I'm so broke right now, and will be until summer), I would like to give the ducks a home.
    By the time I get off work, the PO will be closed. I may have time tomorrow, but this job is kind of crazy... :/

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I didn't know that about health certificates or NPIP certified your talking about the one doing the shipping right? Is that just for the state of cal they have so many more restrictions than other states.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by