Found my 1st Mallard egg

SassyKat6181

Songster
9 Years
Aug 30, 2010
Western Mass
Went to let the girls out this morning and found 4 white Campbell eggs and 1 green Mallard egg
wee.gif
. Been getting the Campbell eggs for a few weeks now and thought maybe I'd have to wait until next spring for the Mallard to lay but I guess she decided now was good.
smile.png
After I locked everyone up for the night, I drained the pool and took a walk around the run. Just as I was about to go in, I saw a green egg hidden in the corner in a pile of egg sized rocks. So much for the 1st egg....
hmm.png
I did the float test and it sank, but we still have hot days and didn't want to risk eating it, especially since I do have a few drakes. Hopefully since she laid todays egg in a nice hole she dug, she will continue in the same spot. The Campbells are happy sharing a hole they have made on the other side of the coop.

Good for you and your Mallard duck maybe you could blow out her first egg since you’re not going to eat. If she doesn’t keep laying in the lil dished out place after you take her egg maybe put a dummy egg in its place so she will feel that it is still safe to lay there.

Back
Top Bottom