Found my Brigitte dead in her coop this morning and can't stop crying.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by brigitte_the_leghorn, Jul 16, 2011.

1. brigitte_the_leghorn

brigitte_the_leghorn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    I don't understand, I have a wonderful, clean, concrete free run environment w/clean, constantly changed dust free poultry cedar shavings, and a nice clean coop. They are free to roam during the day, she was eating fresh grass and feed and being her usual self yesterday. She was fine when I put her in last night a little after sundown. This morning she was dead on the floor of our coop. I am so upset...she was my favorite hen. A beautiful healthy, white plymouth rock named Brigitte. Is it because I forgot to put the water feeder in? I feel awful. I have done that before but this has never happened...noting L.A. summers are very hot. Please help! I am so sad to lose this irreplaceable gem. I am in shock. I know you aren't supposed to get attached but she was like a best friend to me as strange as that sounds. She wasn't like the others, and I know everyone says that but it's true for this girl. I miss her with all of my heart. I've lost chickens but never felt so torn up about one before. Help me. I have no idea why she is dead.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RIP Brigitte...my sweet friend [​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I am so sorry to hear about your hen. [​IMG] These things happen to us all. It is wonderful that you became attached to her as she was a wonderful companion and a beautiful hen. Don't beat yourself up if she did pass on because of not putting out the water. We all make mistakes and can't beat ourselves up over it. Just use it as a lesson in the future.

Again, I am so sorry about your girl. [​IMG]

3. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    so sorry, loosing a special hen is so very hard.

dont feel like it was your fault.
    we lost a very special rooster (from our very first flock ) a few months ago. he was sick, and we had no idea what was wrong with him.
    I felt he was getting better, when I gave him some water with a syringe. I squeezed the water out at the wrong time.
    right as he took a breathe. he choked for a few 10 minutes and died. I really thought I had killed him [​IMG]
    I could not get over it.
    every one I knew told me it wasent my fault. but I couldent get around believeing I had killed him.

My sister helped me to understand that it was Gods will to take him to heaven. and that even if I hadent gave him the water he would have died.
    because it was Gods will. [​IMG]

so dont feel like it was your fault. [​IMG]
    It was Gods will. he wanted your hen Brigitte, and my rooster Baby up with him in Chicken heaven. [​IMG]

4. farmerOwl

farmerOwl Out Of The Brooder

sorry to hear about your hen...I have heard that using cedar chips is not a good idea, they can be poisonus to birds. Try using pine instead...

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I feel your pain I never thought I would miss a chicken but I lost one earlier this year & to this day I still think about her.I wonder if your girl had a heart attack. Just try & think of all the pleasure she brought you & move on. I know its hard but life has its highs & lows that's just the way it is. Keep on trucking!! After I lost mine I found that they are all special in their own way.

6. CatDaddyAlbert

CatDaddyAlbert NoFeathersRuffled

Apr 22, 2011
    Gumboro, Delaware
    Along with other I am also sorry for your loss.

I know it won't help now but having had 100's of chickens and Guinea hens over the years, both in Oregon well it is constantly wet and Delaware were during the summer it is really hot, and I really doubt one night or even day without water caused her to pass on. As with another mention she could have had a heart problem.

One thing I would suggest in the future is that you do not use cedar in your coops regardless of what the packaging may say about using with chickens. Is is just not good.

Again, so sorry your favorite girl has passed.

7. 1 hen and 1 roo

1 hen and 1 roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Ouachita Mountains
    Quote:Yes, I agree. I have read several chicken articles that said that using any Cedar in the chicken coop is toxic to chickens. If you have other chickens in the same coop you may want to do some research and make sure cedar is okay. Personally I would not use cedar just in case.
    So sorry about your loss. Loss of anything you love is hard to go through but like GoldenSparrow stated: God has a purpose and plan. If something was going to happen to your chicken than it would happen regardless of the water or cedar. We just have to try our best and realize that life is all in God's hands and thank him in spite of it all. Chickens are wonderful companions. We've lost a few and it sure hurt especially when my daughter cried for hours over her little Old English that she got for Christmas that was accidentally squashed in the trap door in the winter time one night. That was just awful. She blamed herself because we had just put her in there that day and she was trying to get away from the other OEGB chickens. Chickens are very sensitive and there are all kinds of things that can go wrong that have nothing to do with what we do or don't do for them.

8. mammacarol

mammacarol Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    I'm so sorry for you...and I just found out that a person could really LOVE a chicken, too.

I didn't know before I had my GinnyGirl...she was my first hen, she'd come running to my call no matter where she was...she was hooked on those little mealworms:)! I still miss her. I was partially to blame for her death and it was hard to get over until I remembered we are all a part of God's plan...our coming and our going. Now I am thankful for her life, the fun and the eggs she gave us, and the lessons I learned from her:)...ha! that's pretty funny, isn't it...who knew you could learn lessons from a chicken:? Now I am more appreciative of ALL of my hens...and ALL of the people I know and come in contact with:)...all bec of a chicken:)...my sweet GinnyGirl:)!

Sometimes life is a tough proposition and now I know my chickens are my 'happy place'.
    Your Brigitte still loves you:). Make her a pretty grave and put her picture up in the hen house so all the other girls can remember her, too.

I'll think about you and Brigitte when I am saying Morning Prayers to St. Francis to take care of our animals.
    Hugs.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  9. brigitte_the_leghorn

brigitte_the_leghorn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    To everyone who responded:

I've read everything and all I can say is thank you a million times for being so understanding. I was expecting everyone to be very sympathetic, but this is beyond what I could ask for. You also offered ways I could improve my situation, as well as finding it in your heart to share your [painful] experiences well. Even though we're online, I must say I feel much less alone. Your inspiring words have helped me a lot. As a new member of the forum and new backyard chicken-keeper, I make lots of mistakes and its nice to know you all are here for me as well as eachother. I especially appreciate when you say God has a purpose. It makes sense because I didn't know that cedar shavings were toxic...I just started using them because they were what was advertised at the Feed Bin and were recommended to me for smell control. I had a gut feeling maybe they were not a good idea and I should ask around first...and I ignored that inclination. Now I can see God was trying to tell me 'This is really bad for these ladies, fix the problem!' and I can learn from my mistakes. Poor Brigitte unfortunately had to sacrifice her life so my other beautiful hens could live a happy life. I wouldn't have known to inquire about cedar shavings on the forum or anywhere else and I definitely didn't know they were toxic...it is horrible advertising to chicken and bird owners!

Please know your words have made me feel much better...most people don't understand how a little hen can make such an impact on your life. In my opinion, they are one of the purest, beautiful, and giving animals in existence. They exhaust their bodies to produce eggs for us which create more life, providing nourishment for our families as well as passing on the gift of life. Your words are appreciated...thanks for your thoughts and prayers. My poor little Delaware seems lost without her other fluffy white companion [​IMG]

10. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I know alot of us feel very sad at the loss of a pet, whether chicken or not. I can certainly torture myself for day after a death. You may never know why it happened. My friend at work told me once "think of the nice life you gave your chicken while she was here."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by