Found My Broody !!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Southerngirl, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    My favorite hen Henrietta a 1/2 Japanese Bantam 1/2 Buff Cochin mix had been missing for about 4 days. I found her Thursday on our front porch in a blue tub sitting in a chair that had some plants in it I had gotten from my mom. Some of my other hens had laid in it too and she took over!!! She is our little orphan mother that we use for abandoned babies. I think she would hatch an alligator if I let her !!!!!!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Hope you enjoy the photos; I can pick her up off the nest and hold her but anything else that gets near will experience a life or death situation:lol
    [​IMG]
    Henrietta on her nest

[​IMG]
    Fifteen eggs!!!!!

[​IMG]
    Taken off the nest by force

[​IMG]
    Looking at her nest

[​IMG]
    Broody

2. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    [​IMG]

Congrats! I hope she hatches some cute little mutt chicks [​IMG]

3. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    I'm so glad you found her! 15 eggs! Wow! She is soo pretty.

If you're going to let her hatch her eggs where they are, you might want to add shavings or something for cushioning so she doesn't accidentally break an egg or squish a new chick.

4. Southerngirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I will put some shavings in today. Thanks !!!![​IMG]

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    What a wonderful girl to be taking such good care of those eggs. Love her choice of 'nest' area.

6. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Congrats, I'm glad she was safe and sound! They do pick interesting places to nest and hide, wonder if she knows our Charlotte,,,,

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    [​IMG] She doesn't look very happy that you took her off her nest! [​IMG]

8. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Do you have any idea how long she's been setting? How long till babies are due? I love broodies, they are so much fun. You said she is on your front porch, are you going to move her, pot, nest, and all, to a safer location? Some place where she is locked in and safe from preditors?

9. Southerngirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I am going to move her in our brooder house with our hatchery chickens in her own special cage. I am guessing she has another 2 weeks at least before she hatches. I will post pics because I have no idea what they will be. Our Barred Rock Rooster Goliath is in love with her and we have Japanese Bantam Roosters too !! :eek:

10. angus

angus Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2008
    nh
    I really like that cross. How well does she lay?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by