Found my camera!!! Pics of two of my broodies that hatched chicks!!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by chicken_china_mom, Jul 1, 2010.

1. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    Ok, so I have somewhere around 8 hens broody right now, 4 Bantam Cochins, a Silkie, a Silkie mix, a Black Australorp, and an Ameracauna/Welsummer mix. The BA and A/Wellie mix are in the standard coop and are hoarding about 30 eggs between the two of them. Over in the bantam coop only two hens decided to actually use the nest boxes, my Black Mottled hen Pebbles, and my White Silkie hen Heidi. Well, after playing musical nest boxes for weeks (mostly it was Pebbles that kept evicting everyone so she could sit on their eggs instead of her own). Well, last week Friday Pebbles hatched out a single chick. She then proceeded the morning after the chick hatched to move into Heidi's nestbox (which was originally Pebbles' nest box, and so Heidi went back to her original nest box. Nothing hatched from the eggs that Pebbles was now sitting on, so that left Pebbles with a single chick. Well, inside the house I had d'Uccle eggs cooking in the bator, but we had a power outage for 3 hours and the bator temp got down to 87, and the end result was that only a single Porcelain chick hatched. A bunch died in the shell, fully formed. Very sad. So, I didn't want that inside chick to be raised all alone as my other chicks are all 3 weeks or older, so I took the baby outside to Pebbles. She took it immediately, no qualms about it. So now Pebbles has two little white chicks (the other chick is a White Cochin). Well, the other day my younger DD was out in the coop when she noticed Heidi moving a lot. Then a tiny little brown head popped out from under her! Heidi had hatched a chick from her original eggs which Pebbles had abandoned! Well, it's the cutest little thing, and my daughter wondered if there might be more hatching under her, so she picked Heidi up an peeked, and sure enough, there was a Black Cochin chick under her! Well, Heidi, after 2 days was not getting off the nest, and her chicks kept leaving the nest box and getting pecked, so we decided to bring Heidi and her chicks inside. We placed her in a small cardboard box with food and water, and set it in my room. Last night we took a 3 week old Barred Cochin chick that isn't thriving and placed it under Heidi. She took it immediately, and the chick responded quite well. I woke up this morning to check on Heidi and the babies, and I saw a teeny tiny little head popping out from under her wing, but it was white! I had to stop and think for a moment, had we given her a white chick? No, we hadn't, this was a new hatchling! And??? It's a PURE WHITE SILKIE!!! [​IMG] Heidi refuses to get off her eggs, and I'm not going to force her. See, Heidi is extremely docile...to a fault. She is so gentle that she lets us lift her right off the chicks, and we can reach right into the box to offer food, change the water, etc. She would also get beat up in the chicken yard if we left her out there with her chicks. Either another hen would steal her babies, or they'd kill them, and that's not fair to Heidi, she's such a wonderful girl, and this is her first hatch. So, she now has a Black Cochin chick, a Cochin/Dark Brahma chick, a Silkie chick, and a 3 week old Barred Cochin that is as small as the new hatches. She is very content and when I lean down to pet her and talk to her, she coos back to me. She is so very content. She did peck the dogs and one cat when they came to investigate what was in the box before I moved it into the safety of my bedroom, and no one approached her box after that, lol!!! So, here are my little mama's:

Here is Heidi with her Black Cochin chick peeking out from under her wing. Pardon her bad looking top hat. Right before she went broody we had an uber bad storm and she was playing in the mud:
    [​IMG]

Here are 2 of her chicks behind her:
    [​IMG]

Here is Pebbles with her chicks:
    [​IMG]

Here she is again with them:
    [​IMG]

Here is Buddy watching over her and the babies. He's such a good boy:
    [​IMG]

So I thought everyone might get a kick out of the mamas and their babies. I'll post some more pics later of the babies. The ones under the Silkie are super friendly and come running right over to our hands. And Pebbles' babies have learned to understand that when mama is out of sight and they start crying, they can count on us to bring them to mama. And they are learning that we are the bringers of water, lol. It's so cute!! I love my broodies! [​IMG]

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Broodies and their babies are so fun to watch!

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I love to see chicks with their mamas. Very cute! Thanks for sharing.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by