Found my chicken after one week! Did she freeze off her legs?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by olenka, Nov 20, 2014.

1. olenka

olenka New Egg

Nov 20, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    About a week ago one of my chickens went missing. We couldn't find her until last night I accidentally found her. She was stuck in a crack (kind of hard to explain how). I had hard time getting her out of there but when I did I saw that she couldn't walk. I thought that it's probably because she's really weak. I gave have her water and food and was hoping she would get better by next day. But today she still can't walk. She has a good appetite but I have to move her around because she can't on her own. Her left leg is really warm and seems to be a bit swollen while right one is cool temp. We had some bad weather. It didn't rain the whole week but it was below zero at night. And that place she was stuck in, is in shade so it didn't get much sun either. I'm worried that she maybe froze off her legs. Or maybe broke them since she was stuck in a very uncomfortable position where her legs were compressed. The pictures I provided is the position she's been standing, sleeping and slightly moving. My mom doesn't want to take her to vet she wants to put her down but I'm hoping there's something I can do to help her heal. Any idea what could be wrong with her and if I can do anything?

2. StewedMammal

StewedMammal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2013
    Pembroke, MA
    Only time will tell with this one it seems. Give her a few days to rest, eat, drink and heal up. If she isn't doing better by then, then the best thing to do would be to put her down. However, if she went a whole week without water, there is a good chance she will have brain damage and may have to be put down anyway. Sorry to hear this happened.

2 people like this.
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Oh, it's so good you found her in time to possibly help her. She can be at risk of a crop blockage since she went without food so long. I have read that it is best to let them drink and become hydrated first, then slowly feed them so they don't overeat, but I'm really not an expert on that. I would keep her warm in the house to watch her close and help her get back to normal. She could have suffered from nerve damage. The posture she has of sitting on her hocks can sometimes be due to riboflavin deficiency, so I would give her vitamins in her water, or 1-3 ml daily of Poultry Cell vitamins. Nutritional yeast or any B-Complex vitamins would contain what she needs as well. Nutri-Drench does not contain riboflavin, however. Her legs look pretty good for them to have any frostbite. She may have covered her legs by sitting on them to protect them from the cold. Please keep us updated on her progress. Hopefully in a week or two she will start to move more normally, and the swelling will go down, and leg temperature will warm.

1 person likes this.
  4. olenka

olenka New Egg

Nov 20, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    I've been meaning to reply for couple days now to say thank you for your advise. She is finally back on her feet. About three days ago I saw her standing on her feet and right then I knew she will be running soon. Today she's been running with the rest of the chickens, fighting over food. I'm glad I didn't give up on her when I found her. And i'm glad i came here for help! Thank you again!

5. StewedMammal

StewedMammal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2013
    Pembroke, MA
    Good to hear! and your welcome

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  6. deacons

deacons Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2013
    New Hampshire
    What an amazing story! I always love to follow these interesting health issues - particularly when there's a happy ending. Seems like when we give chickens a warm place to recover, good food, and enough water, they very often bounce back from unbelievable situations.

1 person likes this.
  7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Thank you for the update, and I'm so glad to hear that she is getting better.

8. Jynuine

Jynuine Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2014
    Gaston, OR
    You gave me a little hope- my silkie has been missing, maybe she is stuck in a crack somewhere?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by