Found my Cochin Mix Cockerel Dead, No apparent cause.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 1TurkenLover, Nov 21, 2013.

1. 1TurkenLover

1TurkenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2013
    WASHINGTON state
    Yesterday I Found my 7 month old Cochin Mix Cockerel Dead, in Coop when Husband went to let them out in AM, No apparent cause.he had been eating drinking day before, other 5 chickens seem fine.

[​IMG]

just wanting to understand. . . it was the first Night in unusual below Freezing temp. Mid 20ies he had been looking unkempt, feathers needing a bath, could not seem to go up ramp, after others were in. I picked him up to put him in. he was as heavy as always.

[​IMG]

Baby Pic [​IMG]

2. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    I am sorry about the loss of your bird, it can be very hard, I know.

Did you do any sort of autopsy to try to determine the cause? Have your chickens been wormed and de-mited this fall? Sometimes a heavy parasite load can kill a bird who might otherwise show no signs of illness.

[​IMG]

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm sorry for your loss. [​IMG] Its always hard when you lose a bird, especially when you don't know why. Did you check him over at all, before or after death? Some causes could be mite infestation, a heavy burden of worms, a hidden injury, or some sort of infection.

4. 1TurkenLover

Jul 2, 2013
    WASHINGTON state
    No on autopsy ( since others are fine and I'd Puke long B4 I really got started ) Yes on wormed and de-mited -- Spring Ahead and Fall Back adjusted as needed, also use DE in Coop and Dust Bath.

Checked him as I held and petted him that last night . . and when I gathered him that Am I petted his Cold feathers and xcept for being Passed [​IMG]Looked like he was Just sleeping had his neck tucked around like he was snuggling in for the night. thought maybe the other Cockerel ( Raised together as well as BR hen ) had hurt him. but felt nothing No broken bones, wounds, blood or feathers damaged.

When we started Raising Chickens this past May he spent a few weeks inside house being treated for cases of Both when he got better, moved outside. I'm wondering if He had a week heart ? is that possible?

5. Pathfinders

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    It is possible. Was his comb very blue when you found him? Sometimes that will indicate heart issues.

6. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Im so so sorry you lost him. Sometimes chickens can be really good at hiding illnesses!! I lost one The same way without any clues. ...:( it's so difficult to even try to guess what happened with out any signs. Again im very sorry and sad for your loss!

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sorry for your loss... If it happens again I would send the bird offf for a necropsy. I think WA does them for a small fee.

From a post of mine:
    How to Send a Bird for a Necropsy

They need the whole bird, refrigerated, not frozen. If you live in CA, there are four labs that do necropsies on poultry (chickens, turkeys, waterfowl) for free. I know that they do out of state necropsies, but I think they charge for those. You could call them and ask what they charge for out of state "backyard poultry". The lab I use is the one in Tulare, CA. If you are in CA, call them and ask for their FedEx account number, it will save a bunch on shipping charges.

CAHFS
    18830 Road 112
    Tulare, CA 93274-9042
    (559) 688-7543
    (559) 686-4231 (FAX)
    [email protected]

The other labs are listed here:
    http://www.cahfs.ucdavis.edu/services/lab_locations.cfm

If it's Friday, unless you want to overnight for Saturday delivery, I would suggest shipping on Monday for Tuesday delivery. What you need to do, if you haven't already done so, is put your bird in your refrigerator, NOT the freezer! Then you need to find a box, line it with styrofoam (I use the 4'x8'x1" stuff from Home Depot. You can also get smaller pieces at an art store like Michael's, but is way more expensive. Click here to see foam options. You'll also need at least one ice pack. Here are some pictures that I took of the last bird that I sent:

Box lined with foam on four sides and bottom. Seams of foam taped sealed.
    [​IMG]

Box, sides, bottom and and top.
    [​IMG]

Frozen ice pack in ziplock baggie.
    [​IMG]

Brown paper on top of ice pack.
    [​IMG]

Hen in ziplock baggie on top of brown paper.
    [​IMG]

Brown paper on top of hen.
    [​IMG]

Ice pack on top of brown paper.
    [​IMG]

Lid on top of brown paper.
    [​IMG]

Inside the box you should also include a submission form in a ziplock baggie. Do not tell anyone at FedEx that you're shipping a dead animal... that seems to really worry them. Just make sure that nothing will leak.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. 1TurkenLover

Jul 2, 2013
    WASHINGTON state
    Unknown could not see ( crying ) IF WHEN next time I will look better

Thank you, It helps to be here on BYC with such a wide group of Chicken peeps

Mums the word, Now UPS I'd let them know just after package was 1/2 way ( we have a dislike for each other )

9. Pathfinders

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    I certainly hope there won't ever BE a next time for you!

10. 1TurkenLover

Jul 2, 2013
    WASHINGTON state
    I'm believing in " Rainbow Bridge " it helps. for me to believe a pets Death is the ticket to cross.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by