Found my disappearing hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Skye727, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Skye727

Skye727 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2014
    Sandy, oregon
    I thought my hen was eaten by something. She has been gone for a few weeks. She was back today eating. I followed her into the thick ivy where she has a little nest of at least 7 little blue eggs. What do I do? They aren't fertilized. Will she figure it out? I have some cochin eggs in my incubator that will hatch Monday. Should I give her those? If I do, where? In the house?

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Can you go out at night and move her and her clutch of eggs into a safe place? Perhaps put a dog crate in the coop or run, with hardware cloth to keep the babies safe from predators? Then you could let her set until Monday, and sneak the chicks under her Monday night. Sounds like the perfect opportunity to get those chicks fostered.

3. Skye727

Jun 20, 2014
    Sandy, oregon
    Could I put the eggs under her now in the dog crate?

4. number9

number9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2014
    Elizabethtown, In
    It is according to how strong the brooding instinct is. So you can some you can't. I have not had much problems moving a nest if done quickly at night.

5. MyPetNugget

MyPetNugget Enjoying the cold!!!

Maybe if you move the nest in the dog crate (with the eggs) , then put it back into the ivy she'll go in and then you can take her where you want to. (At night of course)

6. Skye727

Jun 20, 2014
    Sandy, oregon
    I work at night so can't move her then. They aren't fertilized so I risked it and moved her all 11 (!) eggs. She is sitting on them now. I might give her a fertilized one tomorrow.

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Will you give her a fertilized one from your bator? That would be a great way to go... give her one or two from your bator to finish off, and if she does well with them, you could slip the rest of the chicks under her. Chickens can't count.

8. Skye727

Jun 20, 2014
    Sandy, oregon
    I will tomorrow. Wanted to make she will do a good job. I have frizzle cochin bantams. She is a bantam Easter egger. Should be a good match.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by