Found my favorite silkie hen dead today

Jarsheart

Songster
10 Years
Jun 27, 2010
West Palm Beach, FL
The summer from hell goes on. Two of my silkie hens are ill, and I took them to the vet 6 days ago. One is getting better, the other one is getting worse. The one who is worse seems to have gone blind and is not able to walk or stand. Tried bringing her in the house for TLC, she refused to eat. Brought her back outside, and she perked up and would eat and drink when the dishes were directly in front of her. Spent the whole weekend watching her, and adjusting her dishes everytime she moved. Went to check her today, and found MY STRONGEST, HEALTHIEST, AND FAVORITE hen dead. Just like that. No symptoms. Just dead. Next to the sick hen, who was tapping her as if to say "hey, wake up". These hens are only 2 yrs old. I have dusted them for mites, treated them for worms, and given them Corid. After the Corid, put vita mate plus in the water a couple of times a week. I am still crying over the rooster that died Sept 14th. Now my favorite hen. With another hen circling the drain, and one soon to follow. I feel so helpless. A necropsy will be performed, and the sick hen is at the vet. I may have to put her down if her condition cannot be cured. She will die of starvation/dehydration because she cannot see where the food is, OR walk over to it. Hundreds of dollars on vet bills. Dozens of prayers. And millions of tears, and my little flock is dying in front of me. I don't know how much more I can take.

Thats just horrible! I have no idea whats wrong
sad.png

I am so sorry that you lost your favorite bird, and that you're having such a rough time with your flock in general.
sad.png
We all sometimes have streaks of bad luck with our birds, and while it is sad and difficult, don't give up on keeping chickens. I hope you find out the cause for all these issues as soon as possible so you can fix the problem and have a healthy flock again. Sending e-hugs and good thoughts your way.
hugs.gif

So very sad over the loss of your silkie, and the illness in your flock. It sure is painful when we lose our chickens - and when we find ourselves unable to help them ... Hopefully you'll get some bit of info that you need to help them out. Good luck!

I am so sorry for the loss of your favorite hen and the rooster you lost as well. Hopefully the vet will find something that can be treated on your very sick girl. I'm sending healing thoughts your way. I hope the sick one gets better, and that your remaining birds stay healthy.

Jarsheart, I'm so sorry. Losing your favorite is especially tough. You really have had a rough summer.

My Speckled Sussex is about to go this morning. Who knew that keeping chickens could be so emotionally taxing, right?

Thanks for all of your support. Could this possibly be Marecks ? The hens are 2 yrs old. What about West Nile ? Sentinel chickens in the area have West Nile, but I have heard that chickens don't "get" West Nile, just an immunity. I am losing faith in my vet. She does not seem to know much about chickens, especially silkies.

Jarsheart, please let us know if you find out what they are sick with-----this sounds exactly like whatever is illing my silie chicks (they are only around 6 weeks old). Read my post "What could chicks be dying from?" I'm sorry you are having such a difficult time. I'm very upset, because I was so very excited to have got these chicks after not having silkies for years, and plus, I spent $64 on them. I'm afraid another one is sick, and I'll probably end up losing them all.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom