Found my first chicken. What is he?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Scylla@aol.com, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Scylla@aol.com

Scylla@aol.com Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2011
    Brooklyn, NY
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=2051366532938&set=a.1352661265743.2051333.1507744623&type=1&theater

Hi
    all,

I've known about this site and been wanting chickens in my Brooklyn NY backyard for some time. Well the option has been taken out of my hands. A little baby chicken wandered into my yard today. I fed & watered him and the poor thing must have been starving. I've been reading about what to feed it, and will have to expand it's quarters. I have no idea what kind he is or if he's a male or female. I don't know how to post pictures, but above is a link to my Facebook page with a picture of His Chickenness. Any and all help, information and advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Kathy

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I cannot view the picture! A photosharing site like photo bucket also works.

3. Scylla@aol.com

Jun 5, 2011
    Brooklyn, NY
  4. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    She looks like an Australorp- could you take a full picture of her that would help alot! I like them I have one named Emma and she is a terrific layer and a sweetheart too!

5. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    You know this means you have to get another one right cause chickens are very social. [​IMG]

[​IMG] and Gratz on the lucky find...

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  6. TeriyakiChicken

TeriyakiChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Western Australia
    dont think its an australorp

7. Scylla@aol.com

Jun 5, 2011
    Brooklyn, NY
    I was thinking of keeping it indoors in a cage, like a pet bird. My parrot comes out at night, why not my chicken? But yes, if he's going to be an outside chicken, I'll have to get a friend. Yipee! This is such a friendly bird! It cheeps when it sees people and wants to be around us.

Kathy

8. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:How come?
    is the bottom of her feet yellow/white/or pinkish? by the way is how old is she? Love the eyes!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  9. Scylla@aol.com

Jun 5, 2011
    Brooklyn, NY
    I will get better pics tomorrow. (S)He's asleep now. I hope he's a She. Roosters aren't legal in the city, and I want eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by