1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Found my first egg today

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mpgo4th, Jul 24, 2013.

1. mpgo4th

mpgo4th Songster 5 Years

Apr 8, 2013
    I got home from work today and went out to check my chickens. This is what I found.
    [​IMG]
    It was a little bit shocking as my pullets are almost 17 weeks old. They are RSL. And the biggest shock of all was that the very first egg was a double Yorker.

2. mpgo4th

mpgo4th Songster 5 Years

Apr 8, 2013
    [​IMG]
    They are on 16% grower so I just put out a pan of oyster shell for them. Even without the layer feed and no oyster shell the first eggs shell was nice and hard.

3. countrycakelady

countrycakelady Chirping

Mar 16, 2012
    Eastern NC
    :) Congrats! I just experienced the same thing..not a double yolk, but we have gotten another one today, from one of our girls...it's a little smaller, our first one looks like yours! Same chickens too, RSL's!

4. mpgo4th

mpgo4th Songster 5 Years

Apr 8, 2013
    The only bad thing is that I just wormed them at 16 weeks on monday. Now I have to wait 2 weeks to eat any eggs.

5. Chickies2

Chickies2 In the Brooder

Mar 29, 2013
    Yep, me too, first Easter egger from my Mystic. It is smaller than normal, so looking for bigger ones. I have two other chickies to lay their first. Maybe tomorrow. Whoo hoo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: