found my hen dead

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cynde156, Feb 14, 2012.

1. cynde156

cynde156 New Egg

Feb 14, 2012
    I have four hens that I let free range on our property. I found one of my hens in the coop yesterday dead and I'm not sure why. I looked to see if there was an injury but there was none. I did notice last week, however, that one of the chickens had diarea (don't know if it's related), all the chickens were acting normal. Does anyone know if my chicken was sick or could the other chickens be affected?

Your input is appreciated,'

Cindy

2. terryg

terryg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    New England
    I just answered a similar post elsewhere. I call this "SCD" or Sudden Chicken Death. No symptoms, and it seems as if you, out of the blue, have a dead hen. It could be caused by one of many things. Rarely have I found it to be contagious. Chickens are masters at hiding weakness (as a prey animals they don't show illness.) Chickens can die of liver failure, and heart attacks, which will come on suddenly. They can die of cancer and ascites, and you won't see symptoms to the end. That said, carefully observe your hens to make sure that the diarrhea isn't pointing to an underlying problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by