1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Found my little Speckled Sussex pullet dead this morning.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Herself, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Herself

Herself Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2010
    When I went out to open the chicken coop this am I found my pretty little Emma dead on the floor. Yesterday she seemed fine, and the rest of the girls seem ok. I couldn't see any marks or anything. She was about 3 months old, and very small. The other chicken are different breeds 2 Buff Orps, two Partridge rocks, and a gold lace wyadotte. They were the same age, but twice as large as Emma. Now I'm afraid it is something catching & something will happen to the others.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    My hatchery SS are bigger than my hatchery PR. Since she was so small, I would say it is most likely that she had congenital defects. She may even have been a "failure to thrive," meaning she simply couldn't grow normally, for any of a number of reasons, perhaps a heart defect or a missing enzyme to digest food or a lot of other things.

Sorry for your loss -- but I think it unlikely that it was something the others could catch, or they would all have been small.

3. TheFarmMama

TheFarmMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Stafford, VA
    Very sorry to hear that, hopefully it was just a fluke of some sort [​IMG]

4. CCFarms9559

CCFarms9559 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Jeffersontown, Ky
    I'm so sorry. Bad way to start the day. Sounds like a defect and hopefully everyone else will be OK.

5. rosco

rosco Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    fingers crossed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by