Found my new baby chick

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nikmetz, Sep 5, 2014.

1. nikmetz

nikmetz Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2014
    My baby chicken in incubator was all dried off healthy and walked around fast and a talk a tive little thing.
    Overnight~ Still talkative but sits on its butt most of the time and falls on back and cant get up. I try to see if its drinking and it looks like it does with my help. DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO? how can I help baby chick and keep it alive and well!!

Please Help ,
    Nicki

2. nikmetz

nikmetz Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2014
    [​IMG]my little chick

3. Bazy

Bazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    Parker, Texas
    FIRST, I would check it's little bottom and be sure the vent where the poop comes out is not plugged with dried poo. If it is, it needs to be cleaned up very thoroughly, but very gently. THEN I would try some electrolytes in her water. If you don't have any on hand, google a recipe for home made electrolyte solution for chickens. Have you had baby chicks before? They will fall asleep ANYWHERE and they will sprawl out like kittens,but and sometimes squirm if they go over on their backs..and sometimes even sleep on their backs!

I'm sure someone with more experience will be of more help,

1 person likes this.
  4. Bazy

Bazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    Parker, Texas
    Also, You have a brooder with a warm light in it to keep the temperature at about 95 degrees? and put down some paper towels or wood shavings so the little baby is not slipping around? I'm sure you do, but it doesn't hurt to ask... :)

5. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    I'm not in any way an expert but from the photo that chick looks like it may have splayed legs. If you do a search, you should find posts that describe how to make a brace, to enable the chick to walk.

Good luck

Barbara

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by