FOUND NEST!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by omelette'smom, Oct 22, 2008.

1. omelette'smom

omelette'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    New Hampshire
    LAST FEW DAYS WE'VE GOTTEN ONLY AN EGG OR TWO. ADVICE FROM OTHERS WERE "A LIGHT IN COOP" OR "CHILI POWDER IN WATER" ETC. THE BEST ADVICE WOULD'VE BEEN TO SEARCH AROUND THE CHICKEN RUN FOR THE HUGE NEST HIDING BEHIND THE HAYBALE![​IMG] MY HUBBY LET THE KIDS OUT AND SAW SOMETHING MOVING UNDER A LOOSE BATCH OF HAY AND THERE'S MY EE HIDING WITH A CLUTCH OF 9 VARIOUS COLORED AND SIZED EGGS. [​IMG] I WENT OUT THERE ABOUT 4 HOURS LATER AND THERE'S SHE WAS AGAIN WITH A GREEN AND A WHITE ONE!![​IMG] WHAT A FUNNY GIRL!! SHE'S JUST DETERMINED TO HAVE HERSELF SOME BABIES!! [​IMG]

2. wingnut1

wingnut1 Crazy Bird Lady

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Gotta love em !!!! Guess she wants them all to herself !!!!!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  4. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

How cute.

5. crazychicken

crazychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    i say let her do it but get her in a more safe place.

6. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Was she incubating those eggs or just laying & leaving them? Sounds like there's more than one hen using that location, maybe they just like it better than their nest boxes. Those eggs might still be good to eat, just check them individually before adding them to the pan. Now that you know their secret site you can let them continue to use that spot for their daily laying, or cover it over & make them use the nest boxes you've provided.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by