Found new homes for my three Roos!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Herself, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Herself

Herself In the Brooder

May 3, 2010
    I'm so happy! I've been trying to re-home my Barred Rock Roos. I was told they were sexed as pullets when I got them in May & 3 out of 6 turned out to be Roos! I posted them on Craig's list, but so many people had free roos to give away, and I had no luck. Today I took the to the chicken swap & Rufus went to live with 6 barred rock pullets, and Rupert & Romeo went to a man who had a large number of pullets & needed a couple of roos. I had planned on keeping one, but I decided that since I ended up with only 3 pullets that even one might be too much for them. They were about 16 weeks old, and I was afraid those roos would start fighting any time now.

I really want to get 3 or 4 more pullets, and Hubby said he's help me build a little coop to keep them isolated from the first three until we are sure the new ones are healthy.

I'm sort of toying with trying a different breed. Will it be more difficult to introduce a different breed to my girls than if I got more barred rocks? I'd sort of like to try some E.E.s (This time I'm going to be very careful to get all pullets.)

Herself

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Congrats.

I've got 8 more roos to rehome at present.

3. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Go for the EEs, I think you'll be pleased with them.

4. Herself

Herself In the Brooder

May 3, 2010
    I was so happy yesterday because I found nice home for my 3 roosters, but today as I sipped my morning coffee I heard a cock-a-doo-a- doo from the coop! One of the 3 remaining chickens is also rooster. Hopefully only one. These 3 were all so much smaller & their wattles were smaller so I thought they were pullets. The seller said they were all 5 weeks when I got them back in early May, but maybe he had some younger ones mixed in. I think its either Maud or my dear little Itty Bittie. Ladybird has the smallest wattle & comb, and is a bit timid. Maud has a very funny comb - its very thick about 3 times the "normal" width & not very high.

Happy 4th of July!

Herself

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Maud has a very funny comb - its very thick about 3 times the "normal" width & not very high.

If "Maud" is barred, could be she is a Dominique, which have rose combs. Your description sounds like that.​

6. huckleberryfarm

huckleberryfarm Chickenista

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    Glad you found homes for you roos! Where did you get the chicks that were supposed to be pullets and aren't? I just received 35 pullets and am really hoping they are... or at least most of them!

7. Herself

Herself In the Brooder

May 3, 2010
    I brought them from a man at the Milford, NH Chicken Swap back in May who told me that they were Barred Rocks, and he had sexed them already & the pullets were all in one cage & Roos in another. He said they were 5 weeks then. I guess he wasn't very good at sexing them or hadn't really done it.

Maude is barred & looks like the rest except for the comb, and now that I think of it I noticed that some of the feathers towards the bottom of her wings aren't barred so much as a solid gray. Maybe she is a Dominique or a mix. I'll have to take a look at the photos of the Doms. I'm starting to get rather discouraged - all I wanted was 6 pullets!

Herself

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by