Found newly hatched ducking outside and on its head!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by autumn_g, Oct 14, 2019.

1. autumn_g

autumn_g Songster

Mar 5, 2019
    Kansas City, MO
    Hey guys! I know it's been a while my muscovys hatched yesterday. They are always hatched and raised by a broody hen. This morning went outside and a little one was in the corner of the pen laying on its head with its tail in the air. I picked it up thought it was dead. But it moved its head. He was ice cold. I brought him inside and he is barely moving. He whips his head backwards that was about it. Is there any hope for this guy??? Anything I can do for him?

2. luvmigirls

luvmigirls Songster

Jan 23, 2015
    pennslyvania
    Get him warm he will survive. His neck flipping backwards could it be Wry neck? It's fixed with vitamins.

1st get him warm
    2nd step is give him electrolyte water
    3rd step would be feed him fresh warmed mush food

Good luck

3. autumn_g

autumn_g Songster

Mar 5, 2019
    Kansas City, MO
    Ok, should I also give niacin??

4. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    If it only hatched yesterday it's probably still living off the yolk sack. I agree that warmth is the number one priority. Once it seems a bit more alert maybe just a little water and go from there.

5. Mybackyardpeepers

Mybackyardpeepers Crowing

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
  6. FortCluck

FortCluck Crowing

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
    I was just about to say that

7. Mybackyardpeepers

Mybackyardpeepers Crowing

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    I really like her advice and knowledge. No offense others I dont know as well!

8. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
  9. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Get Momma locked up so she can't take babies too far. Provide feed and water right close so Ducklings pop in and out to eat. Baby was definitely cold. Keep all other Ducks separate too..

10. autumn_g

autumn_g Songster

Mar 5, 2019
    Kansas City, MO
    Update. Hes still alive!!!! I have kept him inside separate from every one else because all the other ducklings are running around the pen eating and drinking and he... isnt... his instincts are showing i.e. grooming himself pecking the ground but he walks in circles alot, flails his head about.his head will go all the way back to his back! I have given him B vit, water, mush and love! This morning he was pretty much dead and he has come sooo far. I just hope he doesnt have permanent damage. Hes getting some rest.... :) 20191014_144124.jpg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: