found one of my chicken dead with red area bellow vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Daniel-ir-74, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Daniel-ir-74

Daniel-ir-74 New Egg

Aug 24, 2016
    hi every body this is my first post and I'm new in having chicken as pets.

it is been 3-4 month since i bought 3 chickens and some baby chicks and since then they never lay an egg I thought it's because of their diet or day hours or coop so i changed it all even i crushed some oyster shell but i didn't sure it's supposed to be like this
    or or they would eat it
    [​IMG]

i have build some nice nest box actually all different kind of nest boxes and give them clean water and even apple cider vinegar in their water but still no egg.
    i was starting to not care anymore since today when i went to check up on them i found one of my chicken dead
    [​IMG]

the area bellow his went were awfully red, I started cutting and it was like this :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm so afraid that other chicken may die please help i appreciate any opinion
    here is my other chicken pictures :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and this one i think has vent prolapse what do you think ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

their poop is like green and foamy yellow and smell really bad the picture of last chicken shoots his poop
    any help and i would be so grateful thank you

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Have you seen signs of vent pecking, because that is what come to my mind with the third and fourth pictures? Over crowding, a vent prolapse, and too little protein in the diet are some of the causes. More details about how your chickens are raised might help. Having chickens of differing ages together can cause injuries. If you have a local vet who could perform a test on several fresh droppings, they can rule out coccidiosis or worms.

1 person likes this.
  3. Daniel-ir-74

Daniel-ir-74 New Egg

Aug 24, 2016
    hi eggcessive thank you for your replay
    I think the first month that i bought them i there were a lot of pecking but now the coop is much bigger and haven't seen any
    what about the dead one ? do you think it's egg peritonitis ?
    what about those crushed oyster shell is it right ?
    and the last chicken do you think it's vent prolapse or just and ordinary vent ?

4. Daniel-ir-74

Daniel-ir-74 New Egg

Aug 24, 2016
    i don't think it's coccidiosis because there is no bloody poop just green+foamy yellow poop

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have only used crushed oyster shell from feed stores, and it is very small pieces. Crushed egg shells are a good source of calcium, and my chickens prefer that. The last pic does not look like a prolapse, but I have seen a couple of chickens who can have a slight prolapse, where the inside red tissue may slip out when the chicken strains, and then it goes back inside. It's impossible to know if there is coccidiosis without a vet doing a fecal test. Runny droppings, being sleepy, refusing to eat, and standing hunched or puffed up are the usual signs. Blood is not always present.

1 person likes this.
  6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Proper nutrition is key in keeping Chickens healthy.......Age appropriate feed should be fed and Grit...If laying oyster shell also....
    Water at all times......Scraps/treats at 5%....Tablespoon per bird a Day......

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by