Found one of our three-week-old chicks dead this morning---

CrotonChickens

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 23, 2011
So very odd. They have all been very healthy and found one of the chicks completely flattened in the crate this morning. Can't tell what really happened. Why would she be flat (?) Any ideas, anyone know why this could have happened and what can prevent it in the future? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!!!!
sad.png

sad.png

I'm so sorry, I have 7 3 week olds myself right now--you don't expect it at that age.
How many chicks are in the brooder? How flat is she, could she have been trampled and accidentally suffocated by her brood mates?
Very strange indeed. I hope you get some answers.

idunno.gif

SoSorryAboutyour.gif

The thing to understand is except for the feathers there is not a lot to a baby chick. After the air is out of them and the feathers and not fluffed up and a chick or 2 run over the chickmate in distress there really is not a lot left of a baby bird. So sorry this was so shocking to you. When the raccoon killed my 20 week old girls they looked like nothing in size to what they were day to day.

Take care of the other girls and focus on them. Put vitamins in the water to help with the stress and loss of a chickmate. Good luck

welcome-byc.gif

Thanks for the kind words. We do think that they were jumping around and one just happened to jump on top in the wrong place and then she was trampled afterwards. We will put vitamins in the water -- what type and where do you get it from? the other chick of the same breed seems _very_ sad -- and is sitting in the corner of the crate, so I am hoping she will perk up. The brooder is plenty big -- it is an extra-large dog crate and has been fine. Very sad though --

Any water soluble aviary bird vitamin. Vita Sol. I would put a little sand box in the coop to de-stress by a dust bath. 10 lbs of sand 2 lbs of DE (diatomaceous earth ) food grade. The throw the sand all over their body to kill mites and lice and to relax. Your going to crack up it is very funny. I have this setup;
GoodluckToYou.gif

102768_dscn1156.jpg

Back
Top Bottom