1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

found only yolk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickengirl1193, Jan 6, 2014.

1. chickengirl1193

chickengirl1193 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2013
    north Jersey
    [​IMG]
    found this in the coop. May have been pullets first attempt but idk which one. they all seem okay. should i be concerned?

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    It looks like a shell-less egg. If you have new layers in the flock it is pretty common. I wouldn't worry about it unless you start seeing them on a regular basis -- of that happens consider adding some additional calcium.

3. chickengirl1193

Oct 12, 2013
    north Jersey
    okay so that is common among new layers? all of my pullets just started. I give them extra calcium available free choice. thanks!

4. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Thing can be a little funky in the beginning. Smaller eggs, eggs with no shell, eggs with weird looking shells, eggs in the middle of the yard. Sometimes their bodies take a few tries to get it just right.

5. chickengirl1193

Oct 12, 2013
    north Jersey
    okay. yeah I've noticed that so far. more eggs on the ground than in the boxes and I can tell they have been in the boxes cuz they mess up the nesting material

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by