1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Found orphan - help with breed/sex/age and being sure it's a chicken!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mantuamaker, Jun 20, 2011.

1. mantuamaker

mantuamaker New Egg

Jun 20, 2011
    Hi everyone,

First off - I'd like to thank all of you for being on this forum. We recently found a chicken... and this site has been the most amazing source of information! So, onto my questions..

Long story short, we have a young bird living at our house. It's currently caged indoors, being feed chicken grower crumbles (from Agway at their recommendation) and being brought outside to our yard for an hour here or there under supervision. I've been doing my reading and it looks very much like the pictures I've found of 8-10 wk Australorps. And it looks like a chicken.

However, several people who have only seen pics on a tiny phone screen are not convinced and think it might be a wild turkey. So... I'm hoping someone here can finally put some of the questions to rest. Here are the pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We have no true idea about age/sex/breed. Thanks for any light you all might be able to shed on this!
    ~Carrie

Wondering what the longer story is? My fiance was working on landscaping for a customer in a residential neighborhood. We're in eastern Massachusetts... not especially rural. Round about 7-7:30 p.m. - this scraggily black chicken-like bird is walking up to him and his crew as they are installing a new walkway. It doesn't leave them alone so they ask the homeowners if they know anyone in the area who owns chickens. Nope. They went door to door asking neighbors. They drove around to nearby streets doing the same thing. Nobody knew nuthin.'

So he brought it home. Found a cat carrier... read up on emergency chicken feed substitutions (bread, millet, oats - fwiw) and put it in the bathtub, with the shower doors closed and the bathroom doors closed. Did I mention we have two housecats? They still haven't figured out... a week later!

Next day - call around to see who in town had chickens missing, or might be able to take her in. Nobody, apparently. Planned to take her local shelter - even had her packed in the car and started driving down the street. Until the fiance started driving down the street toward home (we're the last house on a dead end...) so that he could say 'goodbye' to the bird. Well, after playing with her on lawn for 90 minutes he thought she could stay another night. Day three, we call more chicken owners and follow up on possible leads - all to no avail. I went to Agway and bought proper chicken feed, cage & bedding.

And now, a week later, we have a pet chicken. Or at least I think it's a chicken. Please... one of you tell me I'm right! [​IMG]

Oh...- and lastly - this little bird is soooo tame. Comes up to anyone - loves being petted and held. Had no shyness whatsoever from the first time it walked on to the jobsite where my fiance found her/him/it...

2. lavandula girl

lavandula girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, it's certainly a chicken... no way it's a turkey! I'd guess maybe Australorp (or a cross)

3. KFox

KFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Looks like a chicken to me!

4. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    I have a few austrolops right now around 8 weeks and this one looks how they looked around 6 0r 7 weeks. I'm thinking roo but not sure.

5. grendel

grendel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2010
    Walbridge ohio
    looks like a ancona,minorca to me,or another of the mediteranian breeds.Are the nostrils holes large and cavernous?

6. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    aww, that little mohawk comb says chicken all the way (Baby turkeys will have a little fuzzy nub on their foreheads instead).

If I was to guess I'd say Australorp. That is good news because most people buy those as sexed females. Keep posting pictures as your runaway ages and we'll be able to give you a better guess at the gender!

7. mantuamaker

mantuamaker New Egg

Jun 20, 2011
    Thanks for all feedback!! And for putting in writing that it is a chicken ... It's been been amusing trying to explain it to the naysayers! (Especially mom - who raised 40 or so chickens while I was growing up) I had been wanting chickens and we're currently negotiating coop design and location in our backyard so I hope to have some updates in the weeks to come. And if all goes well - hopefully thus one will get some coopmates! As cute as it is - I'm not raising a house chicken [​IMG]

Thanks again everyone!!
    ~Carrie

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to the world of chickens. Beware of chicken math.[​IMG]

9. heathersboers

heathersboers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    Awesome.it is sooo cute!!! Looks like a pullet to me...and a australorpe...Congrats on the new family member.

10. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Those "long goodbyes" will get you every time! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by