Found our first 2 eggs last night

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rnd6394, Aug 7, 2014.

1. rnd6394

rnd6394 New Egg

Apr 23, 2014
    Michigan
    Our 14 girls are only 18 weeks old so this is earlier than we thought. Not sure who laid, but one egg is very small, the other is normal. Are they ok to eat?
    My husband is still working on the coop, so the nesting boxes aren't even in yet. Ironically, they laid them where the nesting boxes will go. He says this weekend he will be busier now, trying to get them done ;-)
    Thank you!

2. Renee572

Renee572 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2014
    Congrats! My BA started at 18 weeks. I'm new at this but it seems that it's normal for the first eggs to be smaller and they are definitely ok to eat. Here's proof, our first egg was delicious yet only last a few bites!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. GulfBamaChick

GulfBamaChick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2014
    Mobile Bay Area
    Yes, They are indeed safe to eat. Congratulations! Mine are 20 weeks and USELESS [​IMG]lol.

4. Renee572

Renee572 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2014
    Sorry guldbamachick mine are 19 weeks today and only 1 is laying, she started Friday.

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Eat and enjoy! Though with the first eggs it can often take a few to make much of a meal for even just one person, lol. Congrats on those first eggs!

6. rc4u

rc4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2014
    yesterday while bring food, right at the door was a small egg.....and there was a BO in the cornor of the coop just laying there...came back after work and 4 more eggs where the BO was laying....i didnt have my boxes built yet but finished them last nite..will install today....and of course look for a few more eggs...i'm just adding the box to the outside of the back of the coop them cut holes in the back and then attach the nest box to the coop in back..the lid i can raise and dont have to go in coop {i hope} to look for eggs..mine were born march 19th...i havent had chickens in a few years....jeff

7. rnd6394

rnd6394 New Egg

Apr 23, 2014
    Michigan
    Sorry to hear. They will catch up. We ended up with two roosters, so I wonder if they are stimulating our hens for the early production. Noticed more aggressive behavior these last few days between the roo's and a few hens. Do you have a roo?

8. rnd6394

rnd6394 New Egg

Apr 23, 2014
    Michigan
    Thanks everyone for the responses! We will cook them tonight. 1.5 eggs won't feed our family, but we can each get a small bite. Good luck to you. God Bless!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by