1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Found our First Egg Yesterday!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by STLchicken-chick, Sep 22, 2011.

1. STLchicken-chick

STLchicken-chick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2011
    I'm so excited, and had to share the news. We got our first egg last night! It was a perfect little white egg. Either from my silver spangled hamburg or white leghorn (our other 3 girls should lay brown eggs). I'm guessing it was the spangled due to the size. Wish I could post pics but I'm new and think I have to have a few more posts before I'm able to do so. My little egg was perfect though! Can't wait for the next one!!!!!

2. Dutchess

Dutchess Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratulations! [​IMG] That's terrific! I have one of five laying, still waiting for the other four...[​IMG]

BTW Welcome to BYC!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  3. valmoisy

valmoisy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    Yay!! Isn't it exciting? I got my first egg today too.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

It's so funny how excited we all get over an egg...lol. I've had chickens for two years, and STILL feel that rush of excitement when a pullet lays her first egg [​IMG] Congratulations!! Go add make a few more posts (you need 10 I believe) then come back and add a photo of that pretty egg. [​IMG]

5. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Congrats! BTW, I got my first egg from my leghorn a few days ago, it was smaller than my silkie eggs. They've gotten a lil bigger each day since though.

6. STLchicken-chick

STLchicken-chick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2011
    Thanks everyone!

JulieNKC, I actually thought the leghorn would lay first. Her comb is the biggest and brightest of all the girls. Maybe I just wanted it to be my little Violet (she's my favorite)... Guess we'll have to wait and see!!!

So glad to see I'm not the only one that gets excited about the miracle of chickens and their eggs lol

7. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Congrats. I am new to this, got our first egg in July and now get 12-13 eggs daily (soon to be more) and I am so excited for you. I still think egg collecting is great. Our office closes at 7 but sometimes I don't get out on time and I have to have DH collect eggs (especially now that it is getting dark so early). So, I call on the way home just to see what our numbers were that day. I can't help it, it is great! I hope you continue to enjoy the egg collecting like we do!

8. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Quote:Lol, I still have to show off my eggs, and the first ones started laying in february. I ran around a few days ago showing everyone my first white egg. I do get white eggs from my silkie x, and have since spring, but they are teeny teeny and this was my first REAL white egg, lol. And today I made everyone look at the green egg I finally (after 7 months of waiting) got from my EE. Now I'm waiting for my first duck egg, and everyone better be ready to look at it too, lol.

9. Dutchess

Dutchess Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Lol, I still have to show off my eggs, and the first ones started laying in february. I ran around a few days ago showing everyone my first white egg. I do get white eggs from my silkie x, and have since spring, but they are teeny teeny and this was my first REAL white egg, lol. And today I made everyone look at the green egg I finally (after 7 months of waiting) got from my EE. Now I'm waiting for my first duck egg, and everyone better be ready to look at it too, lol.

[​IMG] Waiting patiently...

10. bikerchic

bikerchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Virginia
    JEALOUS! Still waiting on 26, 22 week olds! We had the come to Jesus talk this morning. Can't wait to get home and see if it worked. Tomorrows topic of conversation will be frying pans!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by