Found our half blind chicken roosting on the top of fence run!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vjbakke, Jul 24, 2011.

1. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    DH just found our 16 wk old half blind dom roosting on the top of the dog ( 6 ft) kennel pannles that make up our run! I had no idea she could get up that high! Now I am worried to let her or any of them out there during the day. Should we cut their flight feathers? Help!

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    I'd cover the run, so she can't fly out and hawks can't get in.

3. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I'd trim the flight feathers on 1 wing and make sure you physically gather her and place her back in the coop at night.

4. vjbakke

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    Thanks, I've been looking up videos and info on how to clip them. We could put a top on the run, however right now our budget doesn't have room for the materials needed. I think for peace of mind for myself we'll be doing to to all 6 of the girls. We don't need another surprise! We live on a busy street. I could just see us making the local news if one got out and was running around town! LOL

5. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I think that's a wise decision based upon where you live and traffic. Everyone has different situations and some choose not too, but I would also in your case.

6. vjbakke

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    Do you think she only did this to find a safe place at night? We won't be able to clip their wings until tonight and I am a bit worried that they could get out now when we are not home.

7. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    What are the odds?!? I came across this topic as I am trying to find more information for our 16-18 week old, almost entirely blind, dominique pullet.

Not that doms get scared, but do you think it is possible that she was scared or being picked on and flew up there?

If she came from a hatchery, do you mind messaging me which one? Ours did too. She also has other problems and I've been thinking about contacting them. There is obviously something wrong with their breeding stock.

8. Ruth Ann

Ruth Ann Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    South Carolina
    We got 8 new chickens this spring...and only one EE was a constant escape artist.
    So finally after my dh watched on utube how to do it...we clipped Muffins wing.
    No more escapes since.
    Our run area is fenced with 6 ft fencing...but no cover.
    I don't know if Muffin is mad about it...but I feel better not having to swear at her 10 times a day
    when chasing her down...LOL

9. vjbakke

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    We clipped them all, was pretty easy. So far so good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by