Found out what happens when you mix a bobwhite tux mutt with a Tibetan

Discussion in 'Quail' started by spookyevilone, Dec 31, 2008.

1. spookyevilone

spookyevilone Crazy Quail Lady

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    You get cute little babies with their mother's markings and their father's bright pink middle toe [​IMG] I have two chicks that were due tomorrow, both hatched tonight. One's doing good and sassing back at the older chicks in the brooder. The other.. not so much. Popped out of the shell bleeding from the belly and screaming. [​IMG] I grabbed it out of the hatcher, wrapped in a warm, wet paper towel, and popped it back in. So far, still alive but sleeping. Bleeding has stopped but the skin is bare and pink on the belly - not done baking yet, I think. We'll see if it makes it.

The thriving one is fluffed up and in the brooder, and has clearly marked white "eyebrows" and a white chest, stripes on the back with all dark feathers everywhere else. Bright, bright pink middle toes.

Mother is Bumbles, my English/Tux/Bobwhite mutt. Father is a normal Tibetan. I can't wait to see how the babies feather up! [​IMG]

-Spooky

2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Nifty! Well since Tibetan is a dominant color, I bet they'll look a lot like a normal tuxedo (well if they all have white like mama)! [​IMG] Those being my favorite im sure they'll be adorable! I hope the other one with the now-stopped-bleeding-belly revives enough to thrive [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. spookyevilone

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    Quote:The second little one "hatched" from his damp paper towel egg today and was peeping his fool head off. I put him in the brooder with his sibling and they're cuddling now. One of his feet looks funny - the toes are all squished together, so I'm not sure what's up with that. Figure I'll wait and see a few days if it spreads out. His toes are mottled pink and brown. His sib has perfect pink middle toe, and better markings. More symmetrical. But I figure if Goober's strong enough to survive ripping his belly away from his egg, I'll raise him up and see what he looks like.

The first of the hatch looks like it will have gorgeous markings, if the feather pattern holds true to the fuzz pattern. Will get pics in a bit.
    -Spooky

4. Suz658

Suz658 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2009
    Scotland. UK
    I'll apologize now incase I've picked up this post wrong ... still trying to get used to the different names we give to our quail. For instance you give to the colours of coturnix fancy names - ie -

US. Manchurian - UK. Gold or Italian
    US. Tibetan - UK. Range
    US. English - UK. White
    Not sure yet what you a call a wild type colour but we just call it Normal.

But are you sure you have a bobwhite (colinus v.) x coturnix hybrid?? as over in the UK we were convinced that its impossible for the two species to interbreed. If you don't mind I would love to see pictures of the parents & chicks.

Suz

5. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:Some just call the wild color "wild color" or "pharoah" i've noticed. I normally get by calling them the "wild color...but im pretty sure i've said normal too....as well as pharoah to get people to know what im talking about. [​IMG]

I've been trying to get "Range" to be an accepted word on this forum....but since everyone says tibetan I end up using it myself he he!

As for white, from what i've seen newbies seem to think white, and english are different.....thinking it's something special from the others. I only know of two whites, English and A & M. I dont know anyone who raises Englishes however.

As for Goldens, it drives me crazy....People think theres several different goldens when theres only one...Golden (aka manchurian, italian blah blah blah)! LOL!

I made a big post about info on coturnix just to help with this confusion...its seemed to have helped a lot of newbies get into them which is good. [​IMG]

Niki

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  6. spookyevilone

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    Quote:US. Italian or Cinnamon - UK. Gold or Italian. I've never heard it called a Manchurian [​IMG]

The others are correct. Wild types are called 'browns' or Pharaohs.

Bumbles is most definitely a bobwhite cross. I met her progenitors. Her mother's parents were a White hen and a Tuxedo (White + Tibetan) roo. Her mother had normal Tuxedo markings with more white splashes. Her father was pure Bobwhite. The breeder I got her from is developing the hybrid line - Bumbles is from the first generation crosses. I crossed her with a Tibetan roo. Bumbles looks like a mismarked Tuxedo, but she sounds like a Bobwhite and is slightly bigger than the average Coturnix. She also does the bobwhite 'bob' walk, but she's more compact than she should be to step like that and stumbles a lot - thus the name.

The two chicks that hatched bear her markings, the Tibetan pink toes, and one chick is much bigger than the other - but the smaller had a rough start, which may have contributed.

The breeder didn't know if Bumbles would ever reproduce. She developed slower than my Coturnix hens of the same age, taking a month and a half longer to start laying. The two eggs that hatched yesterday were the first two she laid. The rest are in the fridge. She lays 1-2 eggs a day, though on days she lays 2, she usually doesn't lay any the next day.

If you do a search on 'red tuxedo', you'll see pictures of Bumbles. I got pics of her to show the difference between her tuxedo markings and the red tux. I'll try to get better pictures later tonight.
    -Spooky

7. spookyevilone

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    Quote:If I can get my hands on an English white male, you bet your bottom I'm going to breed them! Psycho lives up to his name and is going in someone's stewpot as soon as I get a new male. Sadly, all the white birds around here are A&M's, which aren't true white.

-Spooky

8. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:If I can get my hands on an English white male, you bet your bottom I'm going to breed them! Psycho lives up to his name and is going in someone's stewpot as soon as I get a new male. Sadly, all the white birds around here are A&M's, which aren't true white.

-Spooky

I think i'd get some Englishes from someone as well but I seriously dont know of anyone atleast not on BYC who has em. I have a hard time trusting people on like ebay for something like that...i'd probably end up just getting A &Ms. peh. lol I love my A & ms but i'd like to have the other variety too.

9. spookyevilone

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis

-Spooky

I think i'd get some Englishes from someone as well but I seriously dont know of anyone atleast not on BYC who has em. I have a hard time trusting people on like ebay for something like that...i'd probably end up just getting A &Ms. peh. lol I love my A & ms but i'd like to have the other variety too.

I'm going to check with the breeder I got mine from to see if she has any. Just not until after Psycho's gone. The A&M's aren't a true white - my goal would be to breed the whites until they throw nothing but pure white babies instead of the occasional wild type.
    -Spooky

10. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:I think i'd get some Englishes from someone as well but I seriously dont know of anyone atleast not on BYC who has em. I have a hard time trusting people on like ebay for something like that...i'd probably end up just getting A &Ms. peh. lol I love my A & ms but i'd like to have the other variety too.

I'm going to check with the breeder I got mine from to see if she has any. Just not until after Psycho's gone. The A&M's aren't a true white - my goal would be to breed the whites until they throw nothing but pure white babies instead of the occasional wild type.
    -Spooky

Speaking of this true white stuff. I got confused the other day from someone else. I have a genetic chart that says that white is recessive....but then i was told white is dominant. What gives? is it an incomplete or something?

I have a chick (almost 6 weeks old) that is an A &M it's pure white. I'm hoping to selectively breed my other A &Ms and not keep any of the marked A &M chicks to get JUST white A &Ms......im wondering if it's at all possible? [​IMG]

I was told that Englishes were used to produce A &Ms. Where did you get the info about their white just masking their real color (which makes sense since they express color other than white)? I'm curious so i can do some more reading [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by