Found out why egg production dropped off. (with pics)

patman75

Songster
10 Years
Apr 17, 2009
Michigan - in the thumb
Over the last 10 days I noticed my egg production dip a little.

I have a broody hen and another molting but it seemed like I should have more eggs. So I inspect some of the other hens that I'm not getting eggs from, they are due for a molt. I noticed some new feather coming in but I also noticed a few creepy crawlies in their feathers.
barnie.gif
So off to buy some Food Grade DE, I had been living in a fantasy land thinking I would not have to deal with this
he.gif
. DE appied everywhere should take care of that problem.

Anywhoo...back to the eggs.

So I thought I had more molters than just one and that was the reason, until I noticed something behind my broody's dog cage. There between the cage and inbetween the 2X4 wall studs was two hidden nests.

From the side
28412_sam_0208.jpg

from the top
28412_sam_0209.jpg

Bunch of little sneaky stinkers.
tongue.gif
13 eggs total.

That's funny about the hidden eggs. Not the creepy things, though.

I had a crippled hen long ago that was such a sweetheart; her name was Heart. But she couldn't sit on eggs because of her leg. One day I found her egg pile up in the hay mound--she had about 8-12 eggs in that stash.
ep.gif
Sneaky little thing.
I stuck them under another broody hen and let her hatch Heart's eggs. Heart never went broody and never minded that I took her eggs. Her babies were as sweet as she was. I miss that hen.

hahahaha hens can be so funny. They were trying to sneak in a bit of extra expantion on ya.
1st hen: "hey check this out, the human will never notice"
2nd hen: "but won't she wonder about the extra chicks and missing eggs?"
1st hen: "Naw, silly humans can't count."
2nd hen: "oh ok, cool."

Back
Top Bottom