Found parasitic worm in water

_dizzy_

Chirping
May 5, 2022
I have a water trough for my chickens that I clean out weekly. I tried nipples and cups but they didn't take to them and just started drinking out of the outdoor dog bowl instead so I decided to get them water trough that the dog can't have access to (I prefer to keep dog saliva out of their systems).
Today I want to go clean it out and I saw this little white strand that at first I thought was my dog's hair that may have floated into the chicken water trough, but then I noticed it was moving slightly.
I collected it with a stick and put it inside a little vile. I'm not sure if it came from a wild bird pooping in the water, from one of my chickens beaks, or the neighborhood possum stopping by for a sip.
Should I treat my flock for worms or just let it be? My understanding is that chickens do very well in fending of worms in a lot of cases, but I also am unsure what this worm is.

Attachments

• PXL_20220805_150949613.jpg
    PXL_20220805_150949613.jpg
    550.3 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20220805_150921967.jpg
    PXL_20220805_150921967.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 7
How do you know it is parasitic?

I finally did some digging and found that it's a parasitic nematode towards insects. Totally safe for chickens I guess it just freaked me out for a second. It's a white horse hair worm. Typically they come in brown or tan but can come in white. They trick their host insects into drowning themselves and then they crawl out of their host and live in the water
So it's all good, was just worried

Back
Top Bottom