FOUND Peahen peafowl peacock West Chicago Illinois

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by MnKHarden, Oct 17, 2014.

1. MnKHarden

MnKHarden Out Of The Brooder

[​IMG]
    This peahen showed up at my house yesterday. I did try to catch her so I could put her in a coop until the owner could be located but I was unsuccessful. She has been visiting the houses on my street. Please email me at [email protected] for location

2. MnKHarden

MnKHarden Out Of The Brooder

[​IMG]

3. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    That is a Cameo peacock, if you have a garage with a door and no other openings you can leave the door up a couple feet and throw down some type of seed like corn, sunflower seeds or millet in a trail leading farther into the garage , when it gets hungry it will go in then you can shut the door, make sure if you are using an electric garage door opener you have a few folks blocking the peacocks exit , cause when the motor from the door starts up he is gonna spook.

Thank you for trying to find his home most folks love their Peas very much.

4. RuzichFamily

RuzichFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    Martinsburg, IL
    Find her owner?

5. pedda munnangi

pedda munnangi Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2012
    Give her some water to drink. Looks like a peach peahen

6. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    Enlarge the first picture, it is a young male. Not sure if it's Cameo or Peach.

7. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

What is the giveaway on being a male?

8. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I went by the barring in the first photo and the spur in the second photo, i think young male but pictures can be deceiving [​IMG]

9. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    Look at the juvenile train feathers growing in on the first picture. I've never had a hen of any color with stripes that obvious on train feathers. Hens will have a little striping when very young but as they grow the stripes disappear and the most you have is a speckled looking train feather. Now as Zaz said pictures can fool you and so can young birds sometimes, but I see no Scallop looking feathers on the breast (the ones with a lighter edge) and with those striped train feathers I'd be fairly comfortable making a small wager on this being a boy! [​IMG]

Juvenile Male
    [​IMG]

Hen
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    2 people like this.
  10. RuzichFamily

RuzichFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    Martinsburg, IL
    If you can't find his owner, I'd be interested in rehoming him to S IL on my little hobby farm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by