1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Found Poultry lice what do I do with chicks?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by JHillgrove, Sep 20, 2011.

1. JHillgrove

JHillgrove Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    I found that my chickens have lice. I have permithrine poultry dust that I used last time they had it. But this year I have 3 baby chicks that one of my hens is raising. I have not checked them but should I treat them and their mother? Is it safe for them to be in the coop while I am dusting everyone else?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I''d treat the chicks with the same thing. It may not be so good for them but the bugs are worse and that's a "gentle" treatment.

3. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    ummmmmmmm what is poultry lice?what does it look like? and can i get it?

4. JHillgrove

Aug 2, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    poultry lice are these little bugs that crawl around on the chickens skin and eat blood and skin. You can probably get bit by them if your holding your chicken but they cant live on you or infest you. You can see them because the chickens have bald spots from itching so much. They are creepy.

5. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    Quote:shwwwwww glad they can live on me although that is making me itch right now [​IMG]

6. JHillgrove

Aug 2, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    I powdered them all last night, everyone looks fine this morning, including the chicks. Thanks

7. LaGeniaLoca

LaGeniaLoca Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Does anyone have a pic of what this looks like? Are there different treatments for it, or only one specific treatment?

8. JHillgrove

Aug 2, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Quote:Go online and search poultry lice, it will show pictures, tell you the difference between lice and mites and will tell you all the many treatments. I just used what I already had, it worked last time.

9. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Greene County, PA
    I always sprinkle some Sevin where they dust take a dust bath. Works for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by