Found quail chick randomly dead

Twhi7

Songster
Feb 9, 2021
Hi everyone,

My quail chicks are about 1 week old and seemed to be doing amazing. Growing well, eating and drinking a lot and seemed completely fine even as of late last night. This morning I found one dead under the heat plate with what I’m assuming is diarrhea on its back end. This is my first time owning quail so I’m really not sure what’s going on. I cleaned their area and their food and water dishes 2-3 times a day so I don’t think it would be caused by lack of cleanliness. I’m really hoping it’s not something that will kill all my quail chicks. Any advice?

Hi everyone,

My quail chicks are about 1 week old and seemed to be doing amazing. Growing well, eating and drinking a lot and seemed completely fine even as of late last night. This morning I found one dead under the heat plate with what I’m assuming is diarrhea on its back end. This is my first time owning quail so I’m really not sure what’s going on. I cleaned their area and their food and water dishes 2-3 times a day so I don’t think it would be caused by lack of cleanliness. I’m really hoping it’s not something that will kill all my quail chicks. Any advice?
I will add that I’m feeding them 30% protein game bird crumble

I would normally say that sometimes they just fail to thrive, but the diarrhea says otherwise. Check the other chicks thoroughly to see if any of the others are showing symptoms.

I would normally say that sometimes they just fail to thrive, but the diarrhea says otherwise. Check the other chicks thoroughly to see if any of the others are showing symptoms.
All the other chicks are doing fine still! But so weird because last night before I went to bed they were all perfectly fine and then found one dead this morning.

Have you checked the temperature under the heat plate? It may have died from heat exhaustion?...and when it died, all the muscles relax, resulting in the diarrhea.

Back
Top Bottom