Found red runny poo outside, not sure which chicken did it? What next??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FarmerWife, Jan 13, 2015.

1. FarmerWife

FarmerWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    I found bright red runny poo outside today in front of the house, I have no idea which of the chickens did it. None of the chickens look sick. Yet. The first thing that came to mind was coccidosis, and I have Corrid. So I dumped the duck pool , just in case one of them gets the idea of drinking from it. I have water dishes with Corrid in the coop, on the deck, and throughout the yard, so that will be the only water supply. Going to Tractor Supply tomorrow to buy another bag. But then I'm not sure it's Coccidosis. What else could cause this? We just had to put one of our roo's down a little over a week ago because he was coughing up blood. I've looked at every one of the chickens, and not one has any sign of mucous, or congestion, nothing. Could it be worms? I have Ivermectin, I give it to our dogs to prevent heartworm. Would that help, or is it even worth trying if I find out which chicken is sick? I need to go stand out in the coop for a while tonight and see if someone poops like that again. Can someone give me some advice? I don't know what else to do, has this happened to any of you?

Dianna

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It wont hurt to have all your waterers containing corid treated water for all your birds to drink, make it fresh daily. Make sure you give it to them 5 days straight to drink, no more than 7 days though. There's no withdrawal period. Observe droppings before and after treatment. Dont jump the gun and start treating your birds with everything under the sun. Let the corid do its job in the alloted time frame.
    Check your hens for blood around the vent area in case a hen had prolapse and other birds pecked at it causing it to bleed.

3. FarmerWife

FarmerWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Quote:Ok, will wait. In the mean time I'm going to go out and check if there is any more red poo in the coop, they're all locked up for the night and roosting, so hopefully I'll find out which one it is so I can separate them from the rest. Thanks! Dianna

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by