Found Rooster in Santa Clara @ Rivermark: may be lost or just abandoned

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by luluandphoebe, Nov 27, 2012.

1. luluandphoebe

luluandphoebe New Egg

Nov 27, 2012
    I have no idea where to turn to get this guy to safety. He's a fine looking bird, but showed up about a week ago and this is the first time we've seen him. He is currently roosting in a tree near the corner of Lick Mill & Montague in Santa Clara in front of 550 Moreland apartments.

I'm worried about the weather - and other critters. I have no experience with chickens etc., but he sure deserves a place to live in safety.

Can anyone help or suggest how to best accomplish this? Here he is.

Thanks so much. Going to be hard to sleep knowing the it is going to get mighty cold and rain tonight. Wish I could give him a rain parka....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  2. Wayne&Kim1963

Wayne&Kim1963 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Covington, OK
    catch him at night. A chicken will just sit there and you can grab them in the dark. You have to not shine flashlight so he can see you though. Grab him by the leg so you keep a hold of him.

3. luluandphoebe

luluandphoebe New Egg

Nov 27, 2012
    I would love to catch him but we are in an apartment complex. No place to keep him. I should have said in the post that the location is Santa Clara, CA near San Jose. In the middle of the city in an area with apartments. He's roosting in the middle of a gazillion apartment complexes.

4. luluandphoebe

luluandphoebe New Egg

Nov 27, 2012
    Here's another question. Can a rooster just live in a city on its own? I am a total nitwit when it comes to this stuff.

5. Wayne&Kim1963

Nov 12, 2009
    Covington, OK
    sure he can unless something gets up in tree he is roosting in and eats him. Throw him some bread chickens love to eat bread

6. luluandphoebe

luluandphoebe New Egg

Nov 27, 2012
    I will. Thank you.

7. luluandphoebe

luluandphoebe New Egg

Nov 27, 2012
    Just an update. The rooster has been back each night and we were finally able to capture him tonight with animal control assistance. He will go to a sanctuary and be placed - they rescue and place. So he will be fine. Phew. Thanks for letting me post here. Really appreciate it.

8. Chickengirl47

Chickengirl47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Louisiana
    Good. He is a pretty rooster!

9. Wayne&Kim1963

Nov 12, 2009
    Covington, OK
    congratulations.. You saved him from getting got at night when sleeping. He was lucky to have you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by