Found Shell Less Egg On Ground This Morning..

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pirtykitty, Oct 10, 2009.

1. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    I found an shell less egg this morning under the duck night pen... it went through the hard ware cloth and the straw.. is this normal???? I have been getting eggs with nice shells.. not sure if this is from same duck or one of the others.. I have two welsh harlequin females and 1 cayuga female.. 21 weeks Monday..
    Thank you for your help..
    Oh I am offering they oyster shell free choice

2. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    they are new layers... sometimes this happens. Keep an eye on your females to make sure they don't get egg bound. Perhaps you can add some kale to their fresh treats? their is calcium in kale, and your ducks will appreciate the snack...

3. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    I've gotten a couple of shell-less eggs from my chickens just randomly too. Unless you get another one soon, I wouldn't worry about it. Sometimes it just happens.

4. pirtykitty

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Thank you every one for the advice.. where can I buy Kale??? or should I try and get some seeds and grow it..

5. It's one of the easiest things to grow, but it will take a little while before its big enough for them (and you) to eat. You could probably find in the produce section at the grocery store.

6. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    i used to get it from random grocery stores like brunos, walmart, publix... not sure what kinds of stores you have by you... if your store has a decent produce section you should be able to find it in there... i had to ask someone for it since i wasn't entirly sure what it,looked like. lol

it's dark green, btw. lol and has very wrinkly edges

7. pirtykitty

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    We have a wall mart. and HEB.. And a Brookshires but it too far to drive.. I'll have to check HEb..

8. neferset

neferset Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    You might have some troubles finding it, actually. I remember it was really common when I lived in VA as a kid and it's in the stores here, but when I lived in FL and TX, I couldn't find it anywhere. Maybe it's to do with regional veggies?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by