1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Found skunk in chicken house ~ Do they kill chickens?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by RoosterPecked, Jul 2, 2011.

1. RoosterPecked

RoosterPecked Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2010
    I have had 2 chickens in the last week killed, one in the chicken run and the other found in the chicken house. Both times their necks were eaten and the entrails pulled out of the backside. I have been lacking egg production for about 2 weeks now and blamed it on the stress of the trauma of having their feathered friends killed. Last night when I went to check on my beloved hens there was a skunk inside the hen house. I know skunks love eggs and now I feel that is what is happening to my eggs but could the skunk be also killing my hens? Before last night I was thinking weasel. Any advise? [​IMG]

Thanks,
    RoosterPecked

2. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Yes skunks do kill chickens. You can see them on the predators section of the learning center on this site. And [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. CatDaddyAlbert

CatDaddyAlbert NoFeathersRuffled

Apr 22, 2011
    Gumboro, Delaware
    Yes, what you described the Skunk DID. They do go for the eggs but they are a carnivore. Eggs are easier for them but if the chicken is in their sights they will kill to eat and when they are done eating they will kill just to be killing.

Best of luck.

CDA

4. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Welcome and Yes!!! Skunks will eat chickens and birds and rodents and what ever else they can get a hold of at the time of being hungry...Please get rid of it permanently, but very carefully...

5. Kudzu

Kudzu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Yes, kill it

6. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    skunks are relatives of ferrets and weasels, and will kill your chickens

7. Black Cochin Bantams

Black Cochin Bantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Iowa
    I had to catch skunks in years past and they were quite easy to catch. I used a live trap and baited it with dry cat food. Yes I caught the neighbors cats but easily released it. After they are in the cage cover the cage with a tarp or old blanket. They did not spray. I would recommend wearing heavy leather gloves when moving the cage. I have found that they can be released at least 5 miles from my home and they didn't come back. I also found that they don't spray if drowned while still in cage. Shooting it will probably make the area smell for quite some time.

8. The Yakima Kid

The Yakima Kid Cirque des Poulets

Quote:In many states it is illegal to transport and release wild animals because they may carry diseases and parasites into areas that are not already infected. Toss a tarp over, and drop the trap, skunk, dry ice, and water in the barrel. This will suffocate them. Nitrogen is even better and it simply puts them out and they don't struggle or suffer.

9. Black Cochin Bantams

Black Cochin Bantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Iowa
    Quote:In many states it is illegal to transport and release wild animals because they may carry diseases and parasites into areas that are not already infected. Toss a tarp over, and drop the trap, skunk, dry ice, and water in the barrel. This will suffocate them. Nitrogen is even better and it simply puts them out and they don't struggle or suffer.

The local commercial critter gitter has to by law release them. He can not euthanize them legally unless it is during fur bearer season.

10. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Use veggies or fruit in the trap to avoid catching the neighbor's cat then SSS!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by