Found some wire mesh screen, could I use it?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by noahsmom, Feb 11, 2013.

1. noahsmom

noahsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2013
    North Eastern, Ky
    I found two rolls of wire mesh in my carport hidden under some car parts we were moving around, looks like it would be used for screening in a porch or something like this. Whatever it is, it is very strong and has very tiny holes. I'd say it's about 3' tall...Wondering if I could make use of this to go around the bottom of a dog kennel?
    My first instinct was to try to rip it apart, tear it apart just to see if I could and I could not. However I know other animals with sharp teeth/claws might be able to.
    How could I tell if this would be ok to use? Or is screen in general a NO?

2. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Maybe depending on use you could use it around the bottom of a dog kennel. The kennel fence will keep any large predators out. It would work to keep chicks inside. Larger chickens would destroy it in time pecking at it then they would eat the wires.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  3. noahsmom

Jan 11, 2013
    North Eastern, Ky
    I'm needing something to go around the bottom of the Run, which is a dog kennel (10x10x6).
    So you don't see this is a permanent fix then, I had never imagined the chickens would destroy it by pecking. Our Chickens will be locked up in the coop all night and let out during the day. We do have dogs running around, but we are working on a way to provide extra protection, We have for the most part scared them off running out of the house shooting a gun occassionally or I just yell and bang a pot and pan & our driveway alarm goes off and they turn and go back. They are VERY leary about coming up our drive way, I would have NO problem shooting one that was threatening my chickens, dog or child though.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  4. noahsmom

Jan 11, 2013
    North Eastern, Ky
    I believe we are going to use it to go around the bottom of the kennel for now, The cost to fix the inside of the coop to make it safe and put a floor in as well is going to cost me $400+ already. If I can find things to curb costs even temporarily then I'd like to use them. This would help out tremendously, and maybe by summer I can go out and buy hardware cloth to go around the bottom. I definitely wouldn't want to use permanently if the adult chickens would eventually end up eating the wire.

5. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    It sounds as if you have found window screening material. You may not be able to tear it, but it will rip if a dog gets ahold of it. It is primarily used to keep flies out.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by