Found something outside my front door.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jdywntr, Nov 18, 2011.

1. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I was sitting on the couch watching tv. Two of my dogs were sitting by the front window and started growling. I told them to hush but they wouldn't stop. Then, I notice that they are looking down watching something. I'm thinking there is a squirrel or a cat or something. So, I go to the window and look down and see a duck tail!!!

I open the door and there is my female Muscovy, who was supposed to be in the backyard! So, I grab a towel but I'm afraid she'll run out to the road. I go around and unlock the fence and open the gate hoping to herd her into the backyard. She had other ideas. After 15 minutes of herding her, she goes into my neighbors yard which luckily is not fenced. I grab a sheet and head over to hopefully throw it over her. As I approach, she springs up and flies to the top of my 6 ft privacy fence. I waited for her to fly back into the yard.

So, even though my duck's wing is clipped she has no problem clearing the fence. [​IMG]

Scared the poop out of me.

Needless to say, she will be staying in the covered duck run from now on. [​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Naughty ducky!

3. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    My female Magpie is just as talented. She can't fly, so I am not sure how she gets out, but she gets out all the time.

At least she came to the house to greet you!

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Glad you were able to catch her and put her back in the run. One of my goats likes to come up 6 steps to the back porch and look into the kitchen. Mind you this requires breaking into the screen enclosure too lol.

5. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I was glad that she came to the front. I think I was lucky that she ended up where she did. I feel bad for her though since she'll be locked up but she has enough room.

6. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Did you clip the one wing or both? Is it a full clip or did you leave the end feathers? Wondering if there are options left so she can be out some

7. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Yikes, does this mean that they can still fly if the wings are clipped???????
    I am supposed to go get two muscovies tomorrow. Their wings are being clipped and I was under the impression that that will take care of the flying problem completely. I have a small enclosure with a six foot fence, but the "play yard" for the ducks only has a 4 foot fence. My current ducks never have gone over it, but now I am afraid that the muscovies will. That is NOT going to be good, I live on a busy road.

8. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Quote:I only clipped one wing and I left 3 (I think) feathers at the tip.

Should I try clipping all of the feathers on the one side? Would a full clip prevent her from flying?

She is very petite which may be why it is easier for her to get such height.

-Veronicasmom- It didn't look like "true" flight more like a leap and flapping. But still she landed on the top of the 6' fence from the ground. I also live on a busy road which is why I was so scared. She does not fly over to my veggie garden which has a 4' wire fence around it. [​IMG] It may have been an accident that she got over the fence but still.

9. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    I know it doesnt look as nice but we ended up full clip on the Khaki girls as they were still getting lift. Now they are grounded, so it's worth a try.

10. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Quote:Thanks CelticOaksFarm.

Well, I'd rather her not look as nice and stay in the yard then end up in the road or having to stay in the run all the time. [​IMG]

I'm heading out back now to clip her again. I'll let ya'll know if it helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by